Thursday, December 20, 2007

Answer... no, Don't Answer

This can be one of the most confusing parts of the Bible. Right behind, God was made man.

Proverbs 26:4-5 says, "Answer not a fool according to his folly... Answer a fool according to his folly..." Which is it? Answer or not? I was reminded of this passage when reading the comments on my post from yesterday.

Anyway, should I answer it, or not? The rest of those verses help us out.

Don't answer a fool "according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him." This is saying, if someone says, "I am the judgment seat of Christ" or something like that, then I would be like him if I were to say some smart-allecy response back to him. If I 'played along' with him, then I would be like him. I would be answering him in the same way that he was - according to his folly.

Answer a fool "according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit." This is saying that if someone is speaking foolishly, that we ought not to just ignore it and pretend everything is ok. Mr., you are not the things you say you are. The Bible describes things differently.

Ok, so, to answer a fool, don't answer him foolishly, but at the same time, and answer is needed or he'll think everything's ok.

Just a thought...

4 comments:

Victoria said...

AMEN!

Alex said...

Good reminder.

Anonymous said...

so what did you answer to Secret Rapture ?

Anonymous said...

Matt 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.