Monday, April 20, 2009

Miss California - way to go

No, I did not watch the Miss USA pageant on TV! But, foxnews.com has an article about Miss California. She was asked about whether she believed in gay marriage or not. Her answer:
We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised.
I'm going to forgive her for being soft, "I think that I believe..." and instead give her credit for speaking up against the sin of homosexuality. What I want to focus on is one of the responses of the co-directors of the pageant:
"As co-director of the Miss California USA, I am personally saddened and hurt that Miss California believes marriage rights belong only to a man and a woman," said Lewis in a statement. "I believe all religions should be able to ordain what unions they see fit. I do not believe our government should be able to discriminate against anyone and religious beliefs have no politics in the Miss California family."
I believe she meant to say that religious beliefs have no place in the Miss California family, or that politics have no place in the Miss California family. Sounds like she was trying to say that Miss California should not have said what she said. But, HELLO, she was asked that question by one of the pageant's judges! If it's not supposed to be a part of it, then why is the judge asking the question!? Was she just supposed to lie? Not answer the question? Turn into a spineless sheep and follow the judges lead?

Well, I know nothing about Miss California other than what she answered in response to that question, and I'm glad she stood up for what she believed. Who would have thought that Miss California of all places would have held that position?! And California turned down Proposition 8 too... hmm... maybe they're not AS far gone as I thought.

Anyway, just a thought... (no pictures!)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

one of the judges later said that the answer she gave to that question cost her the crown... http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/ny-etmiss2112675670apr20,0,3056135.story
good for her.

Unknown said...

sorry, she said it cost her the crown...

Hindsey said...

Matt, you seem to know so much on this... did you enjoy the show? ;)

Yeah, I just wonder what Miss North Carolina, who did win, would have answered! The South is not generally very liberal... I guess I'm glad California got the question and answered as she did.

Alex said...

I believe I saw an article in the last couple of days where the judge that asked the question, this Perez Hilton dude, said that she was supposed to dance around the question. So if she would have taken the PC route, she would have been ok?