Monday, June 11, 2007

Pray for Famine

Michael Barone (missionary to Italy: www.GospelToItaly.com) preached a great message out of the book of James yesterday. He usually preaches great messages... But, it was on Elijah (Elias in the Greek) and how he prayed and the rain came back after the 3 1/2 years famine. Those of you that know the story know that I am leaving the first part of it out. Elijah first prayed that God would stop the rain - Elijah prayed for a famine... In the land he lived in... He was willing to do whatever it took to get the job done.


Last week I wrote on how God's people need to pray for healing in the land. That it is HIS people that need to humble themselves and pray. Well, I realized part of what should be prayed for - I don't say that this is all that should be prayed for, but part. Maybe we ought to be praying for a famine. It's much easier to say this than to actually mean it. But Israel was in a spiritually wicked state, and when the rain came back, the people were ready to return to the Lord - though, I have to admit that the whole calling fire down from Heaven had a big part in that!


My point: Perhaps if God would just chastize this nation some - we would be able to be spared from whatever else could come this way. Still remembering: This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through.


So, maybe we should start a new band: Pray For Famine... Or maybe: PrayForFamine.com anyone?

3 comments:

Mr. Young said...

The only chance for America is revival, and the only chance for revival is a real big wake up call for the church, for a time I think people believed 9/11 would be it, but really that (on the great scale of things) did not effect that many people for more than a few weeks... I don't know, this stuff is uncomfortable to think about. I lack the courage to pray sometimes the way I should...just being truthful.

Alex said...

I think Andy's point is well taken. Maybe it's not that we need to be praying specifically for some catastrophe, but that we are praying according to God's will no matter what happens. The point is that we pray for His people (us) to be motivated, even if it takes a catastrophe to do it.

Peculiar Pete said...

This is completely off topic (great post by the way) but I have big news...

Apple released Safari for Windows! It is the greatest thing since sliced bread I tell you!

Check it out at www.apple.com/safari/