Friday, June 8, 2007

Long Life

I know the Bible says that it is, but is Long Life really a blessing? (Yes, I know the Bible is right, just hear me out. I don't want the facts to get in the way of a good story.)


The phrase "long life" is found 4 times in the Bible. Twice it was God praising Solomon for not having asked for it. Once it is found to be the result of not forgetting the law and keeping the commandments - Proverbs 3:2. And once it is given as a means of satisfaction for the man that calls upon the Lord - Psalm 91:16 (perhaps a prophecy referring to Christ cf. Ps. 91:11-12). Interestingly enough, they are all Old Testament references.


I'm thining about Long Life right now as today is the sad day that I turn "old." By the way, 15 years ago on this day, which is half a life ago for me, my family went to Guatemala. And in my old age, I counted in the mirror about 6 gray hairs on the right side of my head and 2 on my left. That proves conclusively that the "right" has much more wisdom than the "left."


Here's my thought - I'm told the average lifespan in America in 1900 was about 47 years old. Today it is about 30 years more than that. In Zambia, they say the average life span is about 35 year old, I think it was. Both of those peoples are/were more familiar with death than we are today. In America the average livespan is more than twice that of Zambia, and about 30 years longer than in 1900.


Here's what I think happens as we live longer:

1) I think we get more comfortable as 'pilgrims' here on earth. That is, if you go to a foreign country, like, say, Guatemala, and you visit there for a couple of weeks. You will not get to the point where you are 'comfortable' in that country - unless you have a guide that is taking care of you and leading through all the different facets of life there that you are unfamiliar with. Now, after a while (maybe a long while), you will eventually get comfortable with the way of life in Guatemala.


Well, we, as Christians, are pilgrims, strangers, seeking a city not made with hands! We are fellowcitizens with the saints and of the household of God. When we trusted in the name of Jesus, we were put into this state of foreign-citizenship. However, some of us have gotten to know some really good guides in this world. That is we have been following some of the worlds' guides around for a while, and they have made our life in this foreign civilization much more comfortable to us - and we, unfortunately, are happy about this. However, with having longer lives now, even if we stay away from some of those guides, it becomes easier to conform to this world and get comfortable with it. It does not mean that all old people become worldly, but the more time you spend here, the harder it can become to maintain faithful allegiance to your home-country.

2) Secondly, the longer we are here on this earth, we become more focused on the things in front of us. In 1900 and in Zambia, death was a much more of a reality than it is to me. For example, I have lived for 30 years now, and in my life, I have lost 2 grandpa's. I have not had any real close friends that have died, or siblings, or children (other than while still in the womb), or parents. To me and in my experiences, death is still something that happens to other people. The people that I know that have lost someone close to them all seem to have a much better focus on what really matters - they see this life as just a blimp on the whole scheme of eternity. People in a society with a shorter average lifespan, and therefore more accustomed to death around them, recognize better the brevity of life. Unrelated, I wonder though what Adam's & Eve's reactions were when they found out about Abel...


Paul, was in a straight betwixt two, having a desire to depart and be with the Lord, which is far better! But to abide in the flesh was more needful for the Philippians. Maybe because he was so close to death so often (and even died once?) that he was ready to go! Maybe he knew that the "light affliction" was but for a moment. It's true that our lives are just 'vapors' but some vapors are longer than others!

For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more
exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are
seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are
temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:17-18)

”Consume my life, my God, for it is thine. I seek not a long life, but a full one like Yours, Lord Jesus.” - Jim Elliot

5 comments:

Aaron Putney said...

So, the tides have turned, the boasting of youth is past. You can still run faster and jump (not reach but jump) higher, your mind is still sorta working yet now you are just another thirty-something. No more child prodigy, whizkid - just one of us.
Thanks for the daily wisdom on this blog, the great example in family and study and your willingness to help, advise and encourage. You are a great friend. This is one comment I wont delete!

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Happy birthday my friend. Enjoy!

Kevin P said...

Life is but a vapour! Live it on purpose! Happy Birthday!! :)

Mr. Young said...

Happy Birthday!
Alright enough of the niceities. Your old now...I seem to remember you telling everyone the day that I turned 30 that your mind starts going, and thatI was going to begin to fall apart and forget things like the...um...er.....well you said I was going to...wait was that you? I can't...oh nevermind...have a nice Christmas, I have to go soak my feet, and take some medicine for my indigestion...

Anonymous said...

To the youngest 30 year old I know; as you change your mantra to,"hey I am still in my thirties",
don't be too proud to keep a tube of sports creme around!
(CVS brand is on sale this week)
Beyond your sarcastic wit, I want to thank you for being a friend that sharpens me.
Happy Birthday friend!