Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Humble Themselves

...So, yesterday we were reminded that it is GOD's people that need to change in order to heal this land. How do we have to change?

2 Chronicles 7:14 - If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves and pray...

What a foreign concept to American Christians. If there's a problem we're supposed to... Pray? Why would we do that? I thought if there was a problem we should put it down on paper, then we should figure out a possible solution, we compare it to other solutions, and then we plan the best way to accomplish the best solution... until the problem is fixed. That's what I would do. [For you Greek students, the highlighted pronouns there are all First Person - basically saying, "I will..." (See Isaiah 14)]


What God is saying is that there are problems too big for ME to handle. I really cannot do anything to save this country. I don't have enough power to do it. When Christianity comes to that conclusion, and we fall on our faces before God and truly humble ourselves (Think along the lines of Sackcloth and Ashes here), then God says we've accomplished the first step towards His healing of the land.

Don't get me wrong. New Yorkers (NYCF) ought to keep doing what they're doing, and they ought to keep doing it well. Just as missionaries are the method that God uses to bring salvation to an unreached, foreign field, He also may be planning on using New Yorkers to accomplish His purposes once HIS PEOPLE will humble themselves and pray. And I'm sure their time spent trying to legislate morally does more for this country for God's sake, than my maintaining computers and networks does!

So, the question for the day: When was the last time you got your sackcloth out?

No comments: