Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Inconsistency

What do you do when come across a verse that doesn't fit your doctrine or theology? The options I can think of are:
  1. Look in another translation - or in the original languages
  2. Consider it an error in the Bible and go fishing (only logical conclusion)
  3. Give one or some of the words a definition that they would not normally have
  4. Completely disregard the verse and move on
  5. Make the assumption that it applies to somebody else and then build a case that ends up disregarding the rest of the passage, chapter or even the whole book
  6. Change your theology to fit the verse
  7. Recognize the supposed 'contradiction,' pray and study for God to give you the resolution
  8. Realize that man cannot fully grasp the wisdom of God (though what could be discussed: can man, with the Spirit's teaching, grasp all the wisdom that God has given in His word?)
  9. Allegorize or Spiritualize the verse to make it mean something other than the literal meaning
  10. Any more?

Now, don't get me wrong, you need to approach the verse with the right hermeneutics - interpration methods. For example, not all of the Bible is written to the Church (it is all written for the Church). When it is clearly referring to allegories it needs to be understood that way. But what about the rest of the time?

I read a quote by Spurgeon last night. I have found myself so incredibly guilty of violating his point here:

"I would sooner a hundred times over appear to be inconsistent with myself than
be inconsistent with the word of God"

Am I willing to do that, to look inconsistent with myself? Would I be willing to allow someone to think that I don't have an answer for a verse, or must I do one of those things listed above in order to give an answer? Only time and observation will tell me what the answers are to those questions! Would you all watch for me and let me know?

7 comments:

Mr. Young said...

Herman who? Seriously, great post.

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Andy this post was written in great humilty. I think we all are guilty off twisting a passage to say what we want it to. Sometimes we think it makes for good Christianity to be able to say we have it all figured out and have the perfect doctrine. I think great Christianity is having a God so big that we say, "His ways are past finding out!" There are verses that I just cannot explain and I want to be OK with saying that rather than making the verse say what I want it to.

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Dude lunch time is not for a long time - you should change the name of your blog to "Morning thoughts" or "The Day before I post this thoughts" - something like that.

Hindsey said...

You are getting yesterday's lunch-time thoughts... I record them during lunch, and then sleep on them. If I'm still ok with them in the morning then I post them...

That's true, except for today's. I changed today's based on what I read last night :)

Mr. Young said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aaron Putney said...

Good doctrine gets in the way of great preaching - was that Spurgeon...

Mike W said...

10. Delete it completely (ex:Acts8:37)

I don't get it, maybe someone can help me out. If the greek is so accurate why can't any of the greek scholars agree?