Thursday, June 7, 2007

Tolerance

I heard said recently that Muslim terrorists perceive tolerance as a sign of weakness. That is, as Islam makes its assaults on things like the World Trade Center, the Spanish train, the London buses, and so many other examples (those were just quickly off the top of my head), when the Nations that are victims of those attacks respond with tolerance and give in to the demands of the terrorists, those terrorists perceive that as fear, as being gutless, no courage! When victims give in to the attackers demands, it just emboldens the attackers to do more.

I realized something: the terrorists are right. Tolerance is a sign of fear. When Christians allow sin to go on and to be accepted, and don't stand up, but rather just tolerate it, it is probably just a sign that we are gutless and afraid...

Anyway, it's just a thought. If you disagree, that's ok. I'll tolerate your opinion. I'm sorry to offend you. Please don't hurt me!!!

5 comments:

Mr. Young said...

If you want to see a wonderful example of tolerance, join us when we go to the gay pride parade. It is so funny (read that sad) to me that the ones who demand tolerance are the most intolerant people when it comes to Christ. I had a sign that read "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." the reaction was screaming and yelling at me for being such a hate filled Christian...didn't seem very tolerant to me, perhaps as you said they were afraid that one of them may have read the scripture and gotten a glimpse of a loving and kind God, and it would have casued them to leave their sin...yeah I guess that would scare me too if I was them.

Anonymous said...

Some things fire us up more than others ie; Mr. Youngs mention of the gay pride parade, or the muder of unborn children. But, sin is sin. Unfortunately, we all tolerate it regularly. I don't mind being considered intolerant.
The key is to be intolerant of sin, but gracefully so. I pray that I can find out how to do that.

Aaron Putney said...

Love the post and so very true, guilty. Yes, for the grace of John the Baptist, Jeremiah, Amos, Nahum, etc etc.
The point is that we must have love to all (even our enemies) but love is communicated different ways (think how you would communicate to a rebellious child...absolutely in love but not through sweet talking).
God's formula - resisteth the proud (Generation of Vipers, except ye repent...) but giveth grace to the humble (where are those thine accusers, go and sin no more). Never are we taught in the Bible that all of Christian witness and love is sugary sweet esteem building, heart to heart talks - we know that but fear the opposite in this day of toleration. Grace and Truth -yes - with a time to have compassion and a time to pull out of the fire (that requires more urgency, directness and force. If I'm a firefighter and you resit me when I try to get you out I will go to all resorts to save you - even ones you dont like...at first

Aaron Putney said...

wow, I should check typos and grammar before hitting the button. Hope ya'll can follow that.

Anonymous said...

Don't let typo's or grammar upset you, and punctuation...hey you use it, if it makes you feel good. If it's still bothering you tomorrow we can sit down over some herbal tea and have a heart to heart.