Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Take That!

(Proverbs 24:17) Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth: (Proverbs 24:18) Lest the LORD see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him.

I read that section of Proverbs this morning. Now, first of all, I don't think that just anybody is our enemy. I think most of the people that we "don't like," we probably wouldn't rejoice if something bad happened to them. I mean, we are supposed to love our enemies, so those kinds of feelings really ought not to exist.

But, let's talk about someone that is our enemy. And it must be that they are enemies because they are demonic and are fighting against the cause of Christ; we are supposed to love them still, but they would qualify as an enemy, I guess. Well, this verse says that when something bad happens to them, we ought not to rejoice. Because if we rejoice in their calamity, God may stay the judgment that He previously had determined to give to them, the wrath that He had for them.

So, if you really want to "get someone" good, don't be happy when bad things happen to them... Though, if the bad things happening is God's wrath on them, then is it OK? Because His wrath was already poured out on them, then it won't matter if we rejoide... or does He have more for them? And if we're kind to our enemies, God will pour coals of fire on their heads, and that should make us happy, although if we're happy about it, then God will turn His wrath from them...

Oh, I don't know... How about we really love our enemies. We do good to them. We pray for them. We have a genuine desire to see the relationship with them fixed - whatever that may take. If they're lost, we truly desire to see them saved. Then, when we have a genuine care for our enemy, we won't rejoice in their falling, we won't be glad when something bad happens to them. Even when it's God's wrath, we'll be sorry for them and have more care and compassion for them.

I mean, really, I used to be the enemy of God. I fell, I stumbled, and God knew it. But even before I did those things... when I was yet without strength in due time, Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man would one die, yea, peradventure for a good man SOME would even DARE to die... But God commendeth His love torwards us in that WHILE WE WERE YET SINNERS, Christ died for us!

I guess the thought today really comes down to: Love your enemies.

Just a thought.

No comments: