Monday, October 22, 2007

Don't Let Him Down

2 Corinthians 9:1-4: "For as touching the ministering to the saints, it is superfluous for me to write to you: [2] For I know the forwardness of your mind, for which I boast of you to them of Macedonia, that Achaia was ready a year ago; and your zeal hath provoked very many. [3] Yet have I sent the brethren, lest our boasting of you should be in vain in this behalf; that, as I said, ye may be ready: [4] Lest haply if they of Macedonia come with me, and find you unprepared, we (that we say not, ye) should be ashamed in this same confident boasting."

The Apostle Paul had ministered to the Corinthians, and he had experienced their zeal in ministering to the saints. He experienced this, and then turned around and boasted on their efforts to other people. The church of Corinth now had this reputation that they were a people known for they ministering. Paul even said that it was 'superfluous' (meaning: More than necessary) for him to write to the church to tell them to be ready to minister... ye he did it anyway.

He used the motivation of this, Hey, Church, please be ready to minister... I've been telling all of my friends that you guys are great like this, and when I bring them down, please, for my sake, don't let me down...

My thoughts went to our church, First BIBLE Baptist Church. I remember how Pastor Grace was told by a pastor in another church in the area that he recognized FBBC people as being people of the Book. And what a compliment that was to be known as such. But, Hey, Church, please be a people of the Book... Pastor Grace has been telling all his friends that this church (you & I) are a people of the Book, and when they come around, please, for his sake, don't let him down...

We ought to love God's Word just because, but let's live up to the reputation that our church has developed over the years, and let's be a people of the Book.

Just a thought...

5 comments:

Alex said...

You hit the nail on the head Andy. We've been called a name - people of the Book. Let's live up to that name. Amen.

Kevin P said...

As Billy emphasized, out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh... a truth we have often heard but was a great reminder. Being a people of the book means we follow the Author of the book... and thus our thoughts, actions, lifestyle, speech should parallel the Author.

Hindsey said...

I love how Billy kept saying, You can't separate the "WORD" (John 1:1) from the "WORD" (Heb 4:12). And that you're not supposed to!

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Yeah, just like Bro. Billy said...oh wait, I was not there! Sigh. Sniffle.

Hindsey said...

Just watch the website. The messages should be there... well... shortly.