Monday, November 12, 2007

Happy Veteran's Day

Some of you may have today off as a holiday, celebrating Veterans Day from yesterday. Originally it was called Armistice Day because it was celebrated on 11/11, the day that the major hostilities of World War I were ended... interestingly enough it was at the 11th hour in the morning that day. But in 1954, President Dwight Eisenhower made the following proclamation:

Now, Therefore, I, Dwight D. Eisenhower, President of the United States of America , do hereby call upon all of our citizens to observe Thursday, November 11, 1954 , as Veterans Day. On that day let us solemnly remember the sacrifices of all those who fought so valiantly, on the seas, in the air, and on foreign shores, to preserve our heritage of freedom, and let us reconsecrate ourselves to the task of promoting an enduring peace so that their efforts shall not have been in vain.
I was thinking about Veterans Day and my family. I know of 2 of my 4 great-grandfathers that actually fought in World War I. My great grandpa Edwin Deming - I remember him some from when I was growing up, but my grandma tells me lots of stories about him - she loved him. And also, my great grandpa Cyrus Welton. I'm not sure about my other two great grandpas.

When we get to my Grandfathers, both of them served in World War II. I know my grandpa Thomas Eugene Taney was stationed in England, and not sure where my grandpa, George Hinds served, but I know he was in the army.

Then there's my uncles. Both my mom and dad come from a family with one girl. All 6 of my uncles and my dad served in the Armed Forces. Most of them fought in Vietnam. My dad's ship (he was a Navy man) was deployed to Vietnam, but it got turned around at the southern tip of Africa, and my uncle Randy was too young at the time for Vietnam - but he's still in the Army today, so he made up for it!

And, my father-in-law, I think I heard that he was in the military too... ?
;)

Maybe this is just my family, and it's not like this with everyone, but I find it interesting that pretty much ALL of my relatives and ancestors fought in the military for this country. Yet, in my generation, I only have one cousin that I know of (out of 18) that was in the R.O.T.C. at least.

Ok, spiritual application... I could try to say how we are in a spiritual war, and it seems that our generation has stopped fighting. I do see some truth in that, but I don't want to talk about that today. I could ask what the Christian's view on war ought to be, but that sounds too controversial for today... I could write lots of things...

Instead, Thank You, to all of you veterans and active military personnel. And to everyone else (since I know of no verterans that read my blog!), let's pray for them. Seriously.

Just a thought.

2 comments:

Kevin P said...

It is good to remember those that have fought - my grandfather fought in the Pacific in WWII. There have been very few times in which he shared stories of those times in battle and when he does it is a very emotional time. They all deserve our respect and admiration!

Aaron Putney said...

My Grandpa - Jake Vanderstow fought in WWII - not much else in my family. I do have a neice in the Marines, she spent some time recently in the Philippines of all places. My grandfather used to keep new American flags in his car and if he'd drive by a house with a tattered, beat up flag he would talk to the person, take down their flag and give them a new one if they didnt want to repay him. He had a burn barrel specifically for proper disposal of worn flags. He hated to see a flag a lack of respect for the flag. He taught our family a great deal of admiration for our country and military.