Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Foward a Year Ago

Happy 2008, everyone!!

Usually, at this time of the year, people are always looking forward to resolutions they want to make to improve this year. I hope that we all have a desire to improve in our lives - primarily in regards to our spiritual lives, in our relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.

Our goals should have us pressing forward this year to being more conformed to the image of Christ than we are right now. A good idea would be to set some tangible goals - such as: I want to read through the whole Bible this year; I want to increase my prayer time from however long it is now, to some greater amount; I want to pass out a certain number of tracts in a week, more than I do now; etc.

Well, those are good goals, and we need to set them. But, today's post is for this purpose... January 2nd, 2007... 365 days ago... where were you? How were you doing spiritually then? Were you reading less than you are now? Were you praying less than you are now? Were you passing out fewer tracts than you are now??? If not... was the year a failure? - depressing thought -

I hope that we can all be encouraged to press forward this year, and to be forward a year ago. Exhort one another daily.

Just a thought...

7 comments:

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Great post Andy! Something I find helpful is not only set goals...but also have an "action plan" if you will to help you. For example, if you want to pray more - decide - "I am going to get up 20 minutes earlier than normal to add to my prayer time" or "When I normally watch House on TV, I am going to replace that with prayer." Just a thought.

Hindsey said...

You can't say, "Just a thought" without written permission. I may have to delete this comment.

I like the idea of making specific quantitative goals, and detailing to yourself how those goals can be met... That brings on another thought, but perhaps will be saved 'til another day :)

Aaron Putney said...

Goals, gameplans...Great
Accountability is another help in the early days and weeks of a changed or new practice. Once the habits are formed and you start seeing results then typically an individual is ok, but til then - resolutions have low percentages of being completed. Good thing our God does not have to wait til next year to afford us another opportunity! Thanks for the post
sincerely,
resolved not to find out what "House" is!

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Aaron - I have not seen House either. In fact, I am not sure what kind of condition one would need to be in spiritually to ever watch something like that.

Aaron Putney said...

agreed Michael - praying for you as you head north of the border soon

Mr. Young said...

Mike's going to Canada?

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Yeah, we have a meeting coming up there - we are excited about it! Pray for us if you think of it!