Monday, February 18, 2008

December 21, 1722

Romans 7:18
(18) For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

I am so thankful for this post is Jonathan Edwards' diary. It is short, just one line:

"Dec. 21, Friday. This day, and yesterday, I was exceedingly dull, dry and dead."

I read so much about the holiness of this man in his humility and following hard after God, that when I read this, I was at least encouraged in that there is hope. I do not see perfection as apprehensible in this life, but then I realize that Jonathan Edwards, and the Apostle Paul, both had the same struggles - to will is present with me, but how to perform that which is good, I find not.

This is not an excuse to continue being dull, dry and dead. The next day Edwards writes about how the Spirit quickened him that day and he had a great time with the Lord. I recognize that Jonathan Edwards and the Apostle Paul still had flesh, they both strove for holiness and an increase in their sanctification. So, let's work on getting better.

Just a thought...

2 comments:

Michael & Erika Barone said...

In the book "The Life and Diary of David Brainard" he had some entries that were very similiar.

I wonder though what "dry" and "dull" spiritually meant to those guys. Sometimes I think good days for us would be considered dry days for them.

Hindsey said...

Yeah, you're probably quite right.

I think we really need to get back to looking at what God expects, desires, demonstrates as being a right relationship with him. And, yes, even though we are to follow "Paul" or "Jonathan Edwards" even as he follows Christ, it would be great if we could set the bar directly from what we read in His inspired word to us, quickened by His Holy Spirit... Letting that be our standard of dry or dull.

Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended!

Thanks for the comment, Michael.