Monday, June 16, 2008

I'm Great at it

As I was reading in the book, The Exemplary Husband, the author was speaking of how husbands first need to recognize who God is, and who they are, before they will end up being the exemplary husband. In speaking of who man is, the author writes that the man needs to recognize that he is a "great sinner."

When I read that phrase in that context, it really stuck out to me - a great sinner - yeah, that's me. Unfortunately, I am really good at it. Paul wrote that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom Paul claimed to be chief. I think often we compare how we are with others, and maybe we recognize that we are just as bad and even worse than so many people, and we admit, Yes, I'm a worse sinner than so and so. But, to be willing to admit that I am a "great sinner," well, that's a bit more humbling - yet true.

Just before John Newton died, he said, "My memory is nearly gone, but I remember two things, that I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Saviour." And we praise Him for it!

Just a thought...

2 comments:

Michael & Erika Barone said...

I could not agree more.

Hindsey said...

You could not agree more that I, Andy, am a great sinner? Thanks for the encouragement...