Thursday, June 19, 2008

Witnessing in Vain

Galatians 2:2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.

Some would argue that when a person is ready to be saved it does not need to be a private affair, but rather they will be ready to jump out and let the whole world know. Paul demonstrates, though, that there are times that presenting the gospel to someone ought to be done in private, and not in public - not for the sake of sparing the witness's reputation, but rather to be more profitable in the opportunity.

People's pride can play a big part when being witnessed to in public. I've seen that at times when out on the street. People have to act all cool when they're around their friends. Paul brought the gospel to some of them privately, so that his time would not have been spent in vain.

Could it be that we can waste our time when witnessing to the wrong people at the wrong time? By no means am I going to give me or you an excuse for our slothfulness in witnessing, but Paul sought for a better opportunity to witness to these people, and didn't waste his time by doing it at the wrong time.

Just a thought...

4 comments:

Mr. Young said...

I like your post Andy, I don't witnesss the same way to a co-worker the same way that I witness out on the street. We would certainly agree that a one-on-one is far more profitable than a sermon out on the street, but sometimes it's the preacher out on the street that opens the door for your one-on-one.

Mr. Young said...

OK...before you point out my redundancy I will.

"I don't witnesss to a co-worker the same way that I witness out on the street"

Better? I was going to leave it, but I knew you wouldn't be able to resist

Seth Koenig said...

Paul was an extremely wise man...and he was slippery. Witnessing comes in all forms and Paul understood that. What Paul never did was display "lifestyle" evangelism without backing it up with Scripture and preaching. Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Without the word of God witnessing means nothing. But as long as the word is present...we have liberty. After all...we are called to sow...and the seed is the word according to Jesus. Good post. I wish I had the discernment that Paul had in witnessing.

Hindsey said...

Shannon, I don't believe that one-on-one is always better, but you're right that it usually is. I wouldn't have pointed out your mistake, what do you think I am?!

Seth, I hear ya! Words are necessary, or else you just look like a good mormon. But it seems, like you said, that there are times to use discernment - If your boss is chewing you out at work in front of a bunch of people, it may not be the best time to explain to him his sin.

You know, I can't think of many situations like the one above, where it really would never be a good idea - and I suppose even that example could be argued. I guess we all just have to walk in the Spirit more and more and be led by Him