Monday, June 23, 2008

Quietness is Temperance

Ephesians 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

I'm a bit slow sometimes, so this thought may be common knowledge for most of you, but as I was thinking of training my children, I realized that teaching them to be quiet is a way of teaching them temperance. I'm not sure if any of you have ever experienced this, but did you know that if you put a bunch of kids in the room and just let them do whatever they wanted, that it would get very loud in there! By teaching them to restrain from just getting as loud as they want to be, you are at the same time teaching them temperance and self-control. On the other hand, allowing them to get as loud as they want and showing no restraint - you teach that it is OK to indulge.

I am finding more and more ways that lust plays a part in my life. lust is not limited to the common description, sexual perversions, etc., but it can be found in yelling or screaming. When we give in to what our flesh wants to do, the flesh that is contrary to the Spirit, we are indulging the same as if we indulged in other lusts.

Just a thought...

No comments: