Friday, April 10, 2009

Happy "Easter"?

This post may be controversial... but since when has that stopped me from posting?!

I want to avoid a long post like yesterday's, so that hopefully people will actually read it. So, to the point: Is it ok for Christians to refer to this coming Sunday as "Easter"? Also, is it ok for Christians to practice the traditional "Easter" activities, like coloring eggs, chilling with the Easter Bunny, and stuff like that? I am going to try to answer these quickly, and if you have any disagreements or discussion points, I would answer more thoroughly in comments.

Ok, the name "Easter" comes from an Anglo-Saxon word "Eastre." This was the name of an Anglo-Saxon goddess during the Spring time. The tradition has it that this goddess was either another name for, or simply a similar goddess to Queen Semiramis. This queen is supposedly the wife of Nimrod. God says:
Exodus 23:13 And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.
I know, I know... that's Old Testament. However, we look at what God says in the Old Testament and we learn about Him. We learn from that verse that He does not like people talking about other gods, even mentioning their name. I can not believe that God is happy when people call the day, in which His Son rose from the dead, conquering death and hell, after the name of a pagan goddess. I just can't accept that. So, No, we Christians should not call this Sunday "Easter." How about we use "Resurrection Sunday" instead? Say that to your lost acquaintances, and you'll have opportunity to start a spiritual discussion - be prepared!

Ok, how about the practices associated with Easter? I mean, yeah, Eastre is recognized by Christians and non-Christians as the fertility goddess. The rabbit is known for its exceptional breeding capabilities, and the egg is also a symbol for fertility in pagan religions. So, we talk about the Easter Bunny, and we color eggs - both symbols associated with the goddess Eastre, which we already learned we're not supposed to even talk about... I really just have a hard time believing that God would be pleased when Christians participate in those activities.

Let me answer the first argument that will be made against me: "But, Andy, you celebrate Christmas, and that's all associated with Santa Clause, and the date used is the date of a pagan festival..." First of all, it still is called "Christmas" meaning "the birth of Christ." Christ is preached whether in pretence or not, so I'll rejoice (Philippians 1:18). And I understand that the date we celebrate is the date of a pagan festival. But, we don't know the date He was born, so why not try to compete with a pagan festival to try to get it to disappear (by the way, it seems to have worked!). And, Santa Clause... Unlike some zealous preachers would say, Santa is not just "Satan" with the letters mixed around. Santa actually means Saint in most languages, and Santa Clause specifically comes from the Dutch: Sinterklaas, which means Saint Nicholas. I have no problems with Nick. I understand the Roman Catholics have made more of him than he would have of himself, but historically, he seems like a pretty nice guy - so do Valentine and Patrick by the way.

So, I don't think I'm being two-faced about "Easter" vs. Christmas. I just think it would be well-pleasing to the Lord if we were to put away the pagan name for the day that Christ rose from the dead -- the Gospel of Jesus Christ -- and truly call it something that is at least Christian.

I failed... I made this longer than I wanted to... sorry!

Just a thought...

4 comments:

Mike W said...

Andy great post, I think we should be aware. But I do not think we partake in idolatry or offend God with Easter (though I would say I am not fully convinced of my own answer). I would defend with I Cor Ch 8. I know lunch is over but.... Your Thoughts?

I Corinthians Chapter 8

4. As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
5. For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
6. But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
7. Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
8. But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.

Hindsey said...

1 Corinthians 8 could be used to argue the 2nd part of my post - that is the practices that are done around Easter.

1 Cor 8 talks about meat that is offered to idols. Paul's point is that the meat itself is not defiled because it was offered to the idols. The meat did not change substance and become evil. So, you could take that argument, which I think is what you're doing, and say that joking about the bunny and coloring eggs is ok, because they're not defiled simply because others offer them to idols.

I think Paul's referring to the physical items involved though, and not the use of them. I will agree that eggs are not sinful because people use them in their worship of the fertility goddess. Rabbits are not evil either. However, Paul does not say that it's ok to go offer meat to idols. And, I think Paul would have admonished those in Ephesus not to take part in a meat-offering festival named Diana... even though they were not going to be actually offering up meat to the goddess.

What I will take from the principle that you bring forward, and I really do and practice this, is that I will not say that people who do participate are sinning when they do. It would be wrong for me to do it, since I am persuaded in my own mind. However, I will apply Romans 14 to this arena and let others be judged by their Own Master.

Unknown said...

well your point andy about the pagan practices around christmas having disappeared applies to Easter as well. i mean you ask 100 people on the street what the bunny and the egg symbolize i bet you get 0-1 answers that are anywhere close to fertility and the saxon goddess Eastre?
people are just celebrating b/c maybe they get a half day off of work, or it's the second time of the year that they bring their kids to church.
Now, my parents always used to give us baskets on the first day of spring so we wouldn't get distracted for the real meaning of Easter (resurrection sunday for you;) probably not a bad idea...

Hindsey said...

Hey, nobody read today's post without looking at the next one - on Monday... Thanks, Matt & Mike.