Monday, April 6, 2009

Memorials

Well, I owe this day to Aaron Putney. You see, I woke up with this kind of like blurred vision that I get right before I am hit with a migraine. Now, when I get hit with a migraine, I'm laid up in bed for a solid 24 hours. Well, when Aaron and I were a part of a missions trip to Zambia about 4 years ago, I got my blurred vision and he introduced me to Excedrin Migraine medicine. I just pop some of those in when I get that, and the migraine is stayed off. So, even though I'm not 100% today, thanks to Aaron at least I have made it to work!

Anyway, thinking of that trip reminded me of a thought that I've had recently. You constantly see throughout the Old Testament that God was telling His people to setup memorials of great things that He had done in their lives. One example that comes to mind is when they crossed the Jordan River, they were to take 12 stones and build an altar to remember the crossing.

I think God would have us do the same thing in our lives. When He does a miraculous work in our lives in some way, I think He'd be pleased if we were to make something, or bring something around that would remind us in the future of the way that God worked. It also gives us the opportunity to share that with anyone else that asks about it - like our kids. I'm really not sure what kind of memorials would be good, but I think the principle is sound.

Just a thought...

2 comments:

Mr. Young said...

that's funny...the other day I was reading, and I got a sermon outline having to do with this. Deuteronomy 16:3 is what started me off.

Unknown said...

12 pill bottles glued together in the shape of a pillow?