Friday, July 3, 2009

Bible Verses About Dying Young

For some reason, the title of this post is a very frequent search phrase that comes to my blog. Certainly, that has to do with me linking to Shannon Young's blog. Even still, it seems there are a lot of people on this world wide web, that are searching for what the Bible says about dying at a young age.

I can't imagine what a person that searched for that is going through. Perhaps they are looking for comfort for a friend or family member that was lost, or perhaps there is a terminal disease that they are faced with. I can't imagine going through something like that.

What does the Bible say about it? Paul desired to be absent with the body and present with the Lord, and even though he wasn't a young man, that thought can through. Oh, how awesome it would be for a young person to be so fixed on Christ that he wasn't concerned about the life of this body, but just desired to be present with the Lord!

What advice is there about dying young? I am reminded of a quote by Jim Elliot (Missionary to Ecuador that was murdered by the people he was trying to reach at age 28), when writing in his journal during college: "Consume my life, my God, for it is Thine. I seek not a long life, but a full one, like you, Lord Jesus."

Jesus died at an age younger than He should have. I am 32 this year... that means, next year I will be the age that tradition records that Jesus was when He died. (A though for another day: Will I have accomplished as much as He did when I get to be His age?!) Jesus had a full life, but not a long life.

Just a thought...

7 comments:

Kelsey said...

You said you cant imagine what is going through someones head who is searching this title. My friend died in a car accident, tomorrow will be 2 years ago..she was only 17 at the time. I was truly blessed to have spent that whole entire day with her, we walked out the bowling alley, I hugged her bye, told her I loved her, and that I would see her Monday at school, not even 45 minutes later she was in an accident. I needed a verse or something to help me make it through another year, to give me a reminder that there was a reason behind all of it, even if it doesnt seem fair, and she was too young. God works in mysterious ways that I will probably never understand.

Hindsey said...

Hey, Kelsey, I'll be praying for ya.

AZMYLPH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I lost my son when he was 18. It's like a huge claw with sharp talons came and ripped my heart out of my chest, leaving a gaping hole. I cannot die and end the pain it just seems to remain there.

Anonymous said...

Barbara may 5 2013

Isaiah 57:1 says they are spared the evil to come.
My brother died young and my mother was healed
At 85. I asked the Lord what the difference was.
He gave me Isaiah 57:1.

Grace and Thanksgiving said...

Yes, Isaiah 57:1,2 are a good encouragement:
"Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time--No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil to come. For those that follow godly paths will rest in peace when they die."

Anonymous said...

My mother and I were in a head on collision four years ago, and although she hang on for four months and three days, Tuesday will be the four year anniversary of her death. There is no way to possibly explain the pain associated with the loss of a parent, especially a mother. Although she lived to see sixty-three years, I was extremely concerned by the fact that she did not reach that promised seventy. One day when I was really missing her, I asked God for clarity, and I opened the Bible to Isaiah 57:1-2. Those words gave me the blessed assurance I so desperately needed. Furthermore, they covered me when Daddy died last year, two birthdays short of seventy. Thank You, Abba for giving Your perfect peace. I adore You!!!