Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Real Prophet

I've been reading through Jeremiah right now, and I have just been getting my pants kicked... I read Jeremiah 20, where around vss. 8ff Jeremiah says that he was faithfully preaching the word of the Lord, and the people had him in derision daily. They mocked him. He came to the conclusion that so many of us probably have come to - IT'S NOT WORTH IT. I don't want to be mocked any more! I'm just going to stop preaching, to stop witnessing, to sit in my hole and be quiet...

But that's where Jeremiah & I part similarities. Jeremiah had this "burning fire shut up in my bones" (vs. 9). He said,

"Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay."
He wanted to quit, but he was not able to stand down, to stay. He would get weary when he was not speaking the word of the Lord. For me, I get comfortable. Life gets easier for me. I am able to just fit in with the crowd. But, Jeremiah could say, God's "word was in mine heart."

So, what differentiates Jeremiah with me? A lot! But, I can't get over remembering what happened in chapter 1:9: "Then the LORD put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the LORD said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth." Jeremiah had a session with God. He met with God in a unique way that day. God ordained him to preach to the nation. Jeremiah recognized his total inability to preach God's word - until God put His word in his mouth.

Too many times I find myself putting God's word into my mouth. I will be reading my Bible to find out what would make a good message to preach to others. I will read with the intent of looking for proof texts to support the doctrines that I hold to. I will even memorize, and put God's word in my mind! But, too regularly, I am failing to let God put His word in my heart. Let the word of God dwell in you richly in all wisdom... We need to approach God's word with the expectation of Him doing something in our lives, of Him teaching something that we need. When we do that, and His word is dwelling in us richly, in our hearts and not just in our minds, then we will have his word in us a burning fire in our bones. Out of the abundance of His word in our hearts, our mouths will speak!

And, if we're lucky like Jeremiah, we can get cast in prison, beaten, and have no known converts during the lengths of our ministries!

3 comments:

Mr. Young said...

Hindsey said - "Too many times I find myself putting God's word into my mouth. I will be reading my Bible to find out what would make a good message to preach to others"

Ouch...I find myself doing that too often, is that like reading looking for something to write on your blog?...notice I've not posted yet.

Hindsey said...

You know, I should add something to this - there is a time to go to the Bible for the intent of looking for something to share with others... That's what you do when you study to prepare to preach. But it can't be only that -

Kevin P said...

This is actually a favorite text of mine! I appreciate how real the prophet called of God is... very few Christian leaders would be willing to admit their desire to quit. Although we do often memorize and search the Scripture for vanity's sake - the Word will be quick and powerful, in our own life - even when we don't expect it.