Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Doctrine & Correction?

2 Timothy 3:16 says: "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."

We are supposed to teach our kids the Bible. Dueteronomy 6 says, "And these words which I command thee this day shall be in thy mouth. And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt speak of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest in th e way, and when thout liest down, and when thou risest up..." The question that I have today is: are we teaching them the Correction part only? That is, is the only time that we teach our children (whether physical children or spiritual children) the Bible, when we teach them correction? They do something wrong and we say, Children, Obey your parents...

The Scripture is given for doctrine & correction (and reproof & instruction of course). Be sure to teach them what is right ahead of time. It's not fair to assume they know everything in the Bible and then correct them when they disobey something!


... and why are you assuming that I am writing this to my own shame! As if I'm guilty of this at times!!!???

5 comments:

Michael & Erika Barone said...

I like the new header!
Also, last night I taught Natalia the doctrine of atonement, so I am clean.

Anonymous said...

"It's not fair to assume they know everything in the Bible..."

It's not?!? Maybe I owe Marisa an apology?

Natalia knows atonement, that's great. Marisa just finished up resolving the Gap Theory, Sovereignty issues, and a series of difficult problem texts. That is why I send her to Putney's class.

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Why does it always come back to Putney's class? I know his class is better - outside of him being a better preacher than me - he has better help than I do!

Hindsey said...

Hey, Benson, you wanna go fishing or something this Sunday? I doubt we'll be needed. And also, I have been kind of tired of late...

Michael & Erika Barone said...

: ) - LOL