Monday, July 16, 2007

I wish I was a girl

(I wonder how many of my faithful readers I lost by the title alone!)

So, really, I was reading Psalm 45 this morning where it talks about the "daughter of the king." The whole Psalm is praising the "king," and then it gets to verses 6-7 where Hebrews refers them to be speaking of Jesus! King Jesus!

If you're a girl, you ought to read Psalm 45 in light of being a daughter of the king (that makes you a princess). The king's daughter is all glorious within...

Anyway, as a boy, what hit me out of Psalm 45 was the last verse: "I will make thy name to be remembered in all generations: therefore shall the people praise thee for ever and ever."

This past Sunday Rik Benson preached a message in Junior High Sunday School on evangelism, and he finished the message in Acts 4 going through the story of the early church - boy, how far we've come away from the power and the boldness that they had, but that's a different post! He read Acts 4:17 which says, "But that it spread no further among the people, let us straightly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name."

Somebody said once (I wrote it in my Bible) that this would have been the end of Christianity. Had they spoke no more in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, the next generation would have not known, and Christianity would have been dead (don't worry, God would not have let that happen.) But the question is: Are you speaking the name of Jesus? Are you making His name to be remembered in all generations?

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven, given among men, whereby we must be saved.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Acts 15:26) Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
I continue to meditate on this verse seeing how men of old spent and were spent for the Name of Christ!

Anonymous said...

interesting post........something else that is totally off this subject but I wanted to run a "lunch time" question by you as it is approaching the noon hour and I enjoy your Lunch-Time thoughts.
Just wondering about the book of life, is everyone's name in there from the start and then blotted out or are they written in once they become a child of God?
When I read it seems to be saying both.........just something to munch on and would appreciate your response.
Thanks and the Lord bless you this day.

Hindsey said...

yeah... off the top of my head (which means, that I might be wrong, and I should have looked at the Scripture references before answering!) I have always took it to be that the names are written in when a person is born again. Some names were never in the book, thence they're names were not in the book of life from the beginning of the world (or however, that once verse says it). Then, they're "part" could be taken out, referring to their rewards, but their name could never be taken out.

David S Baker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David S Baker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.