Friday, July 20, 2007

KJV-Only Reason # 6

Back to the King James reasoning...

Ok, this one may not be well accepted, but I personally like it. I 'prefer' the King James, causing me to be KJV-only, because it is harder! You are probably saying, "Huh? What? That doesn't make sense..." And you're probably right, but hear me out.

It's harder in the sense that we don't talk that way a lot of times. "Blessed are the meek." We would say, "the meek are blessed." The Bible says, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Ye must be born again." We would say, "I am telling you the truth, really, you have to be born again." But we get some advantages with the more un-used language.

Before I explain myself some more, let me say that the KJV really is easy to read for the most part. I'm not going to be naive and say that any child could read everything in the whole Bible (KJV or otherwise, by the way), but for the most part: In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form and void and the darkness was upon the face of the deep... You might need a dictionary if you're new to the Bible.

So, we have advantages with the KJV. You have the "harder" Thee's and Thou's and Ye's. These pronouns actually have purpose though. The ones that start with T are singular and the ones that start with Y are plural. I say unto 'Thee' means to you individual. Ye must be born again means that y'all must be born again.

The same thing with the endings of "eth" (saith, giveth, heareth). They are third personal singular. He saith. If it ends in "st" (sayest, givest, hearest). They are 2nd personal singular. Thou givest, but Ye give. One person giving vs. more than one giving. Did I confuse you?

When you see the "t" at the end of the word, you get singular: Thou Shalt Not... Singular, but Ye Shall Be Witnesses is plural.

There are more examples that I could give, but I think I've pushed enough of you away already by thinking I'm a geek...

Reason number 6: Because the language is more difficult, which allows it to be more precise and to excercise the mind better.

Just a thought...

No comments: