Wednesday, August 15, 2007

a broken tooth

(Pro 25:19) Confidence in an unfaithful man in time of trouble is like a
broken tooth, and a foot out of joint.

Sarah gets to have her four wisdom teeth pulled today, so I decided to lookup a verse about teeth. I almost used this one:

Zech 9:7: And I will take away his blood out of his mouth, and his abominations
from between his teeth: but he that remaineth, even he, shall be for our God,
I thought that was fitting for the day (taking blood out of the mouth...), and a reminder that we are supposed to be "for our God" not against Him.

Then I thought about using Amos 4:6

Amos 4:6: And I also have given you cleanness of teeth... yet have ye not
returned unto me, saith the LORD.

What a good thing to know that God gave us toothbrushes. And a reminder that we are supposed to return unto Him.

I could have used Matthew 5:38-39:
Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a
tooth: (39) But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall
smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

What a good reminder to humble ourselves and not worry about taking revenge on our enemies. Jesus will straighten everything out when He comes back - not to worry. He'll do a much better job taking vengeance than we could.

But, I picked the verse above, Proverbs 25:19, "Confidence in an unfaithful man in time of trouble." This does not mean that a man is only unfaithful in the time of trouble. I am the kind of guy that when trouble comes, I will step up to the plate and be the man to fix it. I'll do what it takes. But, the unfaithful man is unfaithful when there is no trouble. He doesn't stick by the stuff when things are good. When trouble comes, even though he might step up then, the confidence in him is no good. We need to be faithful in the good times as well as in the times of trouble.

If not, it's like a broken tooth - Speaking of which, did I mention that Sarah's getting all four wisdom teeth pulled today? One of them is impacted (whatever that means). So, everyone enjoy your steaks for lunch today! (And I'm sure Sarah's not opposed to having you pray for her too.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yuck, i had the same thing done about 3 years ago... i hope they knock her out, i had one impacted and was awake and it's not a pretty sight or feeling...

Hindsey said...

Sarah's all done. She's doing great so far. She was awake during it, and hasn't said much about it, but came out in pretty good mood.... We'll see how the day progresses now!

Mr. Young said...

Praying for her... Not looking forward to the day they take mine. I've held them off this long, perhaps Jesus come before it becomes a problem.

Victoria said...

The woman's had 5 kids - she's no wimp! By the way, "a tooth for a tooth" - did Sarah get to remove 4 of the dentist's teeth?

David S Baker said...

when they took mine i was doing just fine as number one came out, then two, then the impacted one. oh man... i was hanging in ok though tired of keeping my mouth open, but then he went for help. i knew this was not a good sign.(i got a bit uneasy here) the new guy comes in he is a bit older and im thinking he will hook it up no prob bob. i was wrong. he started twisting and pulling so hard my jaw felt like it was going to rip out of socket. thats when he said this. "mr baker, your tooth is really impacted and it's not coming free(duh!!). we will have to cut away some of the jaw bone to free it up. (he yells out) nurse get me the bone saw!!!! it was all down hill from there.