Monday, August 27, 2007

God's Omnipresence...

I would like to start by just quickly mentioning this website that I "came across" on the Internet. http://www.observetodo.com/ :) Anyway, on to my thought today.

(Psa 139:1) O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.
(Psa 139:2) Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
(Psa 139:3) Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
(Psa 139:4) For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it
altogether.
(Psa 139:5) Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.
(Psa 139:6) Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
(Psa 139:7) Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
(Psa 139:8) If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
(Psa 139:9) If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
(Psa 139:10) Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
(Psa 139:11) If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
(Psa 139:12) Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
The "omnipresence" of God... I don't know if there's another passage in the Bible that just lays out the blessedness of knowing that God is ever with us. David sings, "If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there." God is present, even in hell. The man that dies in his sins apparently does not sense or experience that presence, but He is there.

What comforting knowledge it is to have, that God Himself is ever present with me. It doesn't matter what situation I've gotten myself into, God is there. It doesn't matter what enemies are rising up against me, God is there. It doesn't matter who hates me (because of my posts on music!) God is still there.

(Jer 23:23) Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD, and not a God afar off?
(Jer 23:24) Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.
Um... "Can any hide himself..." Like... Um... I liked it when God was saying that He would be with me wherever I am. But now I realize that His omnipresence means that He will be with me wherever I am!

Whenever I am in a place that I ought not to be, God is there. Whenever I am acting impatiently, God is there. When my pride rears its ugly head, God is there. He fills heaven and earth, and one day my work shall be made manifest, and I like everyone else, shall stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

I like the old analogy of trying to read the upper case phrase: GODISNOWHERE. It's a 'trick' because it could either read, God is now here or God is nowhere... Actually, that's an easy one. It doesn't work to say God is nowhere, so clearly it means God is now here. And that's the truth - Whither shall I flee from thy presence?!

Just a thought...

4 comments:

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Andy - Oh greatness of our God! I am thankful for this post - what a reminder that His attributes should cause us to love Him more and live different!

Hindsey said...

I think it's a matter of faith - we all "know" that God is present with us, but when we really believe that is when we live our lives right. When we sin, I think we really don't believe God is watching us - or we wouldn't do it!

Anonymous said...

'David sings, "If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there." God is present, even in hell. The man that dies in his sins apparently does not sense or experience that presence, but He is there'
a scary and comforting thought in one huh?
question for you though, i think that if a man is in hell he can experience God's presence, but it is God's holy anger and wrath that he senses, which is not a good thing... i just think that God can't be somewhere and His presence not be felt in some way... thoughts about that?

Hindsey said...

I had always read 1 Thessalonians 1:something when it says, "who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of His power..." to mean that they were away from His presence and glory... but I could see how it could be understood differently.