Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Amazing Grace & Ezekiel 33:32

Last week I was reading that book by that ancient Jewish author Ezekiel. In one passage he scribes what God said to him, "And, lo, thou art unto them as a lovely song of one that hath a pleasant voice, and can play well on an instrument: for they hear thy words, but they do them not."

I was thinking about this verse and the song Amazing Grace among the lost world. They hear the words and think that the song is beatiful... but they don't do the words, so to speak. It's like us when we sing, "I surrender all..." or "Now, I've given to Jesus everything..." We hear the words, we even sing them, but really don't have actual intentions of following through with the words.

It's a lovely song, a pleasant voice, played well on an instrument, but they do them not.

Just a thought...

Andy Hinds

3 comments:

Victoria said...

I'm assuming that's a portrait of John Newton & NOT Ezekiel!

Seriously, sometimes I cannot sing certain hymns for the depth of the words!

Mr. Young said...

A W Tozer said:
"Christians don't tell lies, they sing them" ouch...

Hindsey said...

I'm taking this as a challenge - rather than not singing or feeling bad about singing a lie, I'm resolving to be able to sing those kinds of songs truthfully - by the grace of God!