Thursday, September 20, 2007

What's it worth to you?

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070920/NEWS01/709200363/1002/RSS01

That article in the above link to the Democrat and Chroncile tells of a first edition book of Mormon that was found in a house near Palmyra. It was sold for about $105,000. It made me start thinking about how much my Bible is worth. I mean, I can go to the Dollar Store and pick up a copy of the King James Bible... and after confirming with my wife, I found out that means it cost one dollar - as opposed to going to places like the Family Dollar where stuff doesn't cost a dollar... but anyway...

The article says that Joseph Smith translated the book of Mormon from some gold plates given to him by an angel. That made me ask this question, "Would you rather have a book delivered by an angel, or inspired by God Himself?" I'm sure that question wouldn't hold in a Mormon apologetics forum, but that's not what this is! Holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. God the Holy Spirit spoke His words through David.

The Scriptures we are told are more sure than the audible voice of God in II Peter 1:19. So, what's your Bible worth to you? Would you be willing to pay $105,000 to get a copy if that's all you could do? There have been meen that were willing to give their very lives to have a copy

1 comment:

Kevin P said...

$1 may cover the material costs of purchasing God's word in English but the value of such a book is far greater than any man could pay.

(Psa 119:72) The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.