Monday, September 17, 2007

My Kids' Salvation - Continued

On Friday's post I mentioned my great concern for the salvation of my children. I gave a few thoughts on what I as a father need to do to help bring my children to faith in Jesus Christ. Over the weekend, I realized that I was taking some principles and applying them to the situation, yet I failed to mention a passage in the Bible that specifically deals with the topic of my post.

(Pro 23:13) Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.
(Pro 23:14) Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

The Bible tells us that by "beating" (Bible word, not mine) our child with a rod, we will deliver his soul from hell. Now, I believe that to be a principle, not a promise, since lost men have corrected their children with the rod, and their children have followed in their footsteps. But, still, the principle is that if you correct your children, with a rod - causing physical pain - it will help to deliver their soul from hell.

How come? Well, it teaches that sin has judgment. It teaches that a good Father will not let His children do things that in the end will hurt them even worse.

Anyway, my thoughts are still on the same subject, so I wanted to add this to the conversation.

Just a thought...



Andy Hinds

2 comments:

Victoria said...

So many people say they "love their children too much to spank them" According to these verses and others, if you love them so much, you WILL spank them. True love is attempting to spare your child from the eternal pain of hell. Thanks, Andy, for the reminder!

Aaron Putney said...

Good post,
on Sunday I gave out ears of corn, peppers and zucchini when the students answered a question. The point - What is best for them is and not always recd well but it 1) is remembered more, 2) is something that in the future will be recognized as having been better for them than the alternative and 3) will ultimately lead to the best longterm results. I will say without a doubt that the discipline I went through as a child put me in fear/respect for authority, made me not want to get in trouble and certainly helped me understand that there are consequences to our actions.
Thanks for the post.
Heb. 11 - I am glad that my Father still scourges me when I need it - like kids - if the punishment is severe enough - the lesson will be learned and the spanking will not need to be repeated. Makes me wonder what the ratio between timeouts and spanking is for changing a behaviour in a child?