Thursday, November 8, 2007

Filled with all His Fulness

Ephesians 3:19 is one of my memory verses today, and it says, "And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God." The context is that Paul gets on his knees before God for a few purposes, some of them: to know the love of Christ, and that they would be "filled with all the fulness of God."

There are a couple of phrases in the Bible that kind of make me cringe a little. That is, I read them, I believe them to be true, but the implications are mind-boggling. A couple of examples:
  • 1 Thessalonians 2:12: Paul exhorted them: "That ye would walk worthy of God..."
  • 1 Peter 1:4: Christians can be: "Partakers of the divine nature."

Not to get into those ones today, but I think Ephesians 3:19 might be up there.

To be filled - If you're full of something, you don't have room for anything else. With all the fulness of God - All that He is, His fulness, is what we are to be filled with. What God is made of: Righteousness, Holiness, Love, Mercy, Longsuffering, Patience, Justice, Compassion... All of those things we are to be filled with.

But also, we are a habitation of God. God inhabits His children, through His Spirit (Eph. 2:22). We are to be filled with all of Him. Filled with His Spirit, walking in It/Him... Without any room for anything else.

To be filled with all the fulness of God. I thought about another thought that I was thinking about, but was just too overwhelmed with this verse that I had to change it.

Just a thought...

No comments: