Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Road to Greatness...

I often hear messages on the road to greatness being the road of humility. As Matthew 20:26-27 says, "...whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:" The preaching usually goes something like this: You have to be willing to clean the toilets if you want to be the leader, the pastor for example. You don't just come in and say, I'll run the show - instead you do whatever is needed of you. That is how you achieve greatness - God will exalt you...

Then last night, I heard a message from Mark 9, and as I was reading the passage it says this, "...If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all..." But wait a minute... I thought that if I were to humble myself, then I would be exalted and be first. I just had to start out low. But what this verse in Mark is saying is: if you desire to be first, you will be last.

The message I think is being portrayed is this. Humble acts do not make you humble. They may have a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility (Col. 2:23), but I believe they actually demonostrate that it is not real humility. Humility is not just being willing to do the dirty work to "climb the corporate ladder" (though that principle is a good one to follow for secular matters), but rather real humility is content at always being last.

God chooses to use those that are humble for His purposes. He does promise to exalt "in due time," not necessarily when you want or expect, but when He ordains. God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. True humility does not say, I will humble myself so that I may end up being first, but rather humility says, I will humble myself so that somebody else may be first.

Just a thought...

7 comments:

Kevin P said...

(Mat 18:4) Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Hindsey said...

Kevin, you bring up a good point. The exaltation may not happen at all during this present age.

Kevin P said...

Please clarify - "humble acts don't make you humble...but actually demonstrate that it is not real humility". If that is true, is it possible to be humble? Lets just say someone is truly humble - is there a way for me to look and see it or by seeing their humility would I then realize they really aren't humble?

Hindsey said...

When a person does humble acts with the motivation that by doing these humble acts, it is the way to 'get ahead' in the church, I think that person is not humble....

That wasn't much better, was it?

I suppose I can illustrate what I'm saying like this. If I clean the toilets at the church so that people will see my servant's heart, then I'm not excercising humility...

Humility will be demonstrated with humble acts with no expectation of recognition. But just because someone does a supposed 'humble' act, does not necessitate that they are.

There.

:)

Aaron Putney said...

so does that mean you aren't going to post that video you took of yourself vacuuming the other day after all? :)

Hindsey said...

Me??? Vacuum??? I would never do that. I'm too...

nevermind

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Andy - I think this is really a great post. Great thought and challenge. I have missed reading these.