Thursday, February 7, 2008

300 Trained Servants


Genesis 13 and 14 tells the story of Abram and Lot parting ways. There substance was too great, so they separated. We all know that Lot went over by Sodom, and Abram stayed in the promised land. The story goes on that the city of Sodom is overrun by some people with long unfamiliar names, and Lot and his family is taken captive.

As I was reading this story, a phrase stuck out to me as Abram was preparing to go rescue Lot. It says that Abram "armed his trained servants, born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen..." I don't suspect that they were "trained" in the cullinary arts, or in clothes-washing techniques. If that's all it was, it wouldn't make sense to arm them. It has to be that these 318 men were trained for battle. Abram had 318 men born in his own house that he had trained for battle.

I guess I never really pictured Abram as having been so wealthy. I mean, he did wait until his father died before he came into Canaan. He did get a bunch of stuff from Pharaoh as he was lying about Sarai. But he thought it worthwhile to have 318 trained soldiers.

You're probably asking me: Andy, what's your point?! That's my problem. I don't really have one. It is just strange to me that Abram had his own little army. I'm sorry to let you down...

Just a pointless thought...

Oh, I should add that Jeff Adams has a great post today that I wish was my lunch-time thought (as do all of you!). You can find it here: http://drjeffadams.com/?p=615

No comments: