Tuesday, July 31, 2007

30 miles

So, my 7 year old daughter and I went on a bike ride this past Saturday. We went along the canal from Elmgrove Road until we got to Wayneport Rd in Macedon. Then we went a couple more miles back west and ended up at Lollypop Farm. It was a great day spent with her.

We went about 6 miles and went to visit her cousins off Brooks Ave. She was quite disappointed when they weren't home. We got back on the path and went through Genesee Valley Park. Last week we had done the same, and there were a bunch of people at the park. We were both disappointed last time that we did not have any tracts with us... This time we were prepared so we brought a couple, unfortunately I only had 2, and when we got to the park, there was nobody around! I guess some event was taking place on the other side. Anyway, we decided to leave a tract on one of the tables that would eventually have somebody sitting there.

Anyway, we kept going, and it must have been somewhere around S. Clinton Ave or so when we came up to this man that was resting from his bike ride. Annabelle had said that she wanted to give out the last one, so I pointed him out to her, and she said great. We got closer, and she said - I want you to do it - I tried talking her into it, and she said, I'm too afraid. I found it ironic that at least she is honest in admitting what too many times is true for us, yet we try to give some other excuse. Anyway, we both started riding away slowly, when she said, AnywayI'm sure there will be more people that we can give it to... Pictures of the old man throwing starfish back in the water popped into my head. My response was, Yes, Annabelle, but what about this one. I went back and gave him a tract. He looked at it and said, This probably isn't my kind of reading, but Thanks... I pray it turns into his kind of reading.

Enough of the spiritual stuff... We got to one of the locks on the canal. And I had to stop and figure out what a lock was for again. After reading some of the signs around the place (giving different elevations, etc.) I think I explained it right to her :)

We kept going and saw a grandfather catch a huge fish (it was -----THIS----- big) in Pittsford. We stopped there too to get some candy from a gas station. By this time we started getting hungry, so we stopped when we got to Fairport to have some lunch. The waitress and the owner of the restaurant thought we were rather crazy for having ridden all the way out there! (It got Annabelle a free sucker though!) We walked around Fairport for a few minutes and got to see the bridge go up and down.

The ride continued for another little while, when finally we decided that it was time to call for a ride for someone to come pick us up. We got off the canal and stopped at a gas station to find out where we were. I borrowed the atlas there and gave Sarah a call. The girl working at the cash register thought we were crazy too. I wonder if they are right?

At that point we rode back and looked at some animals at Lollypop Farm for a few minutes while we were waiting. For some reason Sarah said that next time we have to ride to a certain point and then come back home. I don't know why she doesn't want to drive all the way out there again! Anyway, It was a great Saturday... Did I mention that my 7 year old girl rode her bike for 30 miles?!

3 comments:

Victoria said...

I am sooo impressed with your daughter. I've never even TRIED riding for 30 miles (probably because I'd be humiliated at having to stop after 2). Speaking as a daughter, that's a day she'll remember for the rest of her life.

Love your blog. Read it daily. Keep it up!

Hindsey said...

I too am impressed with my daughter!

Thanks for commenting - I'm truly humbled that you would find my thoughts interesting enough to read! I still have pictures in my mind of my brother Jeff in a stare down with your husband - the school play was Nicholas Nickelby.

:)

Victoria said...

Ironically, I couldn't stand my husband in that play. He played the evil uncle so well, everyone hated him! He LOVED it!