Friday, August 3, 2007

Just Perfect


On this day in history, 1739: English revivalist George Whitefield wrote in a letter: 'I am no friend to sinless perfection. I believe the existence (though not the dominion) of sin remains in the hearts of the greatest believers.'
I'm sure Whitefield was responding to John Wesley's "Plain Account of Christian Perfection." I have not read all of that article, so I don't even know if I agree with Wesley's stance. But the question is this: Can a Christian live without commiting any sin?

The doctrine found in Romans 7 (the second half of the chapter ;) is that there is a war between the flesh, which we still have, our old man, and the Spirit that is now living within us. Paul wrote about how even he still did the things that he didn't want to do, the things that he thought were wrong and that he would not allow. He did the things that he hated... So, it is very easy to say, with Whitefield, There is no such thing as Christian Perfection. And for all practical purposes, I think I would have to agree with you.

But, here's my question: 2 Peter 1:3-4 says that His divine power has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness, and that we can be partakers of His divine nature. Galatians 5 says that if we walk in the Spirit, we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. What Paul is saying in Romans 7 is that at times, he wasn't walking in the Spirit.

When we walk in the Spirit, and God works in us to will and to do of His good pleasure, and we are able to bear the fruit of having the Holy Spirit of God in us -- Why can't we do that all the time? Could somebody do it for 20 seconds - Live completely perfect and sinless, walking in the Spirit, for 20 seconds? Is that possible? Could the Holy Spirit perfectly lead that person for 20 seconds? If so, of course the question goes, how about a minute? How about 5? 1/2 hour? A day? A week? A year?

Why not?

I refuse to teach this: You shouldn't expect to be sinless, you should just expect to sin less.

I think we need to live our lives sinlessly. I haven't been able to do that, but that MUST be what I am striving for. Complete perfection - not of my own power, but by the power of Him that hath made me partake of His divine nature.

Just a thought...

2 comments:

Kevin P said...

When Jesus said, "by therefore perfect" and later Peter quotes from Leviticus by stating, "be ye holy, for I am holy" - is this state of perfection and holiness actually unattainable? Is the Lord asking us to attempt something that is unreasonable and impossible?

Hindsey said...

Experientially, I would say, No perfection is not possible and being holy is the command, but realistically we won't be holy and perfect all the time...

It is reasonable, it is possible (with God), and it is definite - in the future 1 John 3:2.