Tuesday, August 7, 2007

In Jesus' Name We Pray

I've always wondered about that phrase, "In Jesus' Name I pray..." No, wait, I take that back. I have not always wondered about that phrase. I've always prayed that phrase, but honestly, growing up, it really was just something tacked on at the end of my prayer. Why? I don't think I had any idea.

Even until recent years, the real meaning of what it was to "Pray in Jesus' name" hadn't gotten through to me. And very likely, I'm still short of the real meaning. What is it to Pray in Jesus' name like He tells His disciples to do in John 14 and 16?

What does it mean to do something in the name of somebody else? "Stop, in the name of the law." That speaks of a person claiming the Authority of something or somebody else. The police offer is demanding that the person stop, because the law demands that person stop.

When we pray in Jesus' name, we make our requests known unto the Father by the authority of Jesus Christ. The Pharisees recognized that God does not hear the prayer of sinners in John 9:31 (Any sinners here?). David, in Psalm 66:18, knew that if he regarded iniquity in his heart, God would not hear him. If I were to approach God in prayer, in my own name, I should have no expectations of an answer to that prayer. I am a sinner that regards in iquity in my heart... Not yet perfect by any means. However, when I come, making my requests known to God by the authority of the Great High Priest that is sitting at the right hand of the thrown of God (that is, praying in the name of Jesus), then I can have expectation that God is going to answer my prayers!

He who spared not His own Son, but delievered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him, also freely give us all things! - Romans 8:something.

We are told to approach the throne of grace boldly, but that's only because we have Jesus, the Great High Priest, the Son of God, making intercession for us.

Michael Barone (http://www.gospeltoitaly.com/), was recommended a book called Praying Backwards. From what I understand, the thesis of the book is that praying in Jesus' name is not something that is to be tacked on to the end of the prayer, but rather should be the first thing. We come to God in the name of Jesus - and only because of His work, His blood, and His current intercession - we dare not come in our own name!

Just a thought...


The following hymn is one of my favorites, and is right up the alley of this post, so I thought I'd share it here:

Arise, My Soul Arise
1. Arise, my soul, arise, shake off thy guilty fears; The bleeding sacrifice, in my behalf appears; Before the throne my Surety stands, Before the throne my Surety stands, My name is written on His hands.

2. He ever lives above, for me to intercede; His all redeeming love, His precious blood, to plead; His blood atoned for all our race, His blood atoned for all our race, And sprinkles now the throne of grace.

3. Five bleeding wounds He bears; received on Calvary; They pour effectual prayers; they strongly plead for me: "Forgive him, O forgive," they cry, "Forgive him, O forgive," they cry, "Nor let that ransomed sinner die!"

4. The Father hears Him pray, His dear anointed One; He cannot turn away the presence of His Son; The Spirit answers to the blood, The Spirit answers to the blood And tells me I am born of God.

5. My God is reconciled; His pardoning voice I hear; He owns me for His child; I can no longer fear. With confidence I now draw nigh, With confidence I now draw nigh, And "Father, Abba, Father," cry.

2 comments:

Mr. Young said...

Great Post, Great Song!!!

Anonymous said...

In God We Trusts.

Praying For The Children, & There Family. that Live On Same Road where I Live. For there Salvation In The Name Of Jesus Christ. I Pray God Will Bless There Health, Home, School, Work, Healing Blessing. In The name Of Jesus Christ, i Pray God Put Joy, Love Peace & Forgiveness in There Heart, In The Name Of Jesus christ. I Pray They Stay in School to, In The Name of Jesus Christ. & Pray For President Barack Obama. Pray Gor The Jews & USA. In The Name Of Jesus Christ I Pray
Father we trust you to take care of our students when they are out of our control and under the influence of others in our schools.
The Savior said, “Pray in your families unto the Father, always in my name, that your [families] may be blessed” . By praying together, families can grow closer to Heavenly Father and to each other and invite the Holy Ghost in the home. In The Name Of Jesus Christ
Pray For Our Childrens. PLESAE
Prayer is the key that opens your day to every blessing. It also is a lock that closes the night to keep you safe while sleeping. So what you have to do is "use your key all the time." Smile! It will make you look better. Pray, it will keep you strong. Love, it will make you enjoy life.