Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Poor and Needy

I was reading my Bible yesterday, and the thing that stuck out to me was this, I am needy. Now, that's not a big deal, except for this thought: I needed the Bible to tell me that.

You see, my life is pretty good. I have a beautiful wife and family, great friends, a good job, plenty of food, a house, two cars, good health... Things are good. It would be easy for me to look at my life and say, I don't need anything. But, the Bible says that I'm needy.

Now, I recognize that God is the source of all, that by Him all things exist, etc. I have that knowledge already. I have the knowledge that I need Him for everything, yet my daily life too often does not rely on Him for things - I'm all set.

God really wants us to recognize that we need Him. Sometimes He does things to help us remember that... like when my car broke down last night :) It was a small, but perfect reminder that we do NEED, and that we do need to rely on God to meet our needs.

Lord, increase our faith.

Just a thought.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning my love, your post reminded me of part of the song that we are doing tonight the second verse that says:
Simply trusting Thee Lord Jesus I behold Thee as Thou art and Thy love so pure so changeless, satisfies my heart, satisfies its deepest longings, MEETS SUPPLIES ITS EVERY NEED. Compasseth me now with blessing. Thine is love indeed.
We need to be reminded to go to him to meet and supply our every need. And when the good things that He does meet and supply happen, we need to remember it came from Him and give Him the glory. I thank my God for blessing me with you as my husband. He knew I needed you :) Praise God!! Thanks for the reminder this morning. Love you- - Sarah

Hindsey said...

Sarah, you're sweet...

Hey, what time did you need me home by today? How's school going? Work is going fine here... :)

Anonymous said...

We could actually communicate by phone. :) Sarah

Anonymous said...

But if this is easier, then school is goin ok, Sissy is done, Annabelle is almost done and Timmy is almost done. The baby is sleeping and Joe is just running around playing. - - Whenever you want to come home is fine... Love you - - Sarah

Hindsey said...

Communicate by phone? What's that...

Anyway, Everybody, please forgive this digression... We could go back to the subject of the post if so desired :)

Anonymous said...

haha, is this a private thread or...???, good post andy, i think that the 'need' that a lot of christians 'need' to have is to recognize that phil. 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
and Pro 30:8 Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: 9 Lest I be full, and deny [thee], and say, Who [is] the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God [in vain]. i would say that the biggest lack is the absence of a sense of need spiritually, as physically we recognize that all good gifts come from above... lots of people pay lip service to recognizing that all things come from God, but applying in daily life is spotty... what do you think? and how's the car?

Hindsey said...

Matt, I agree with what you're saying... we have 'knowledge' that we need God, but we act as if we're capable of supplying everything by ourselves. Church of Laodicea, thought they were rich, but didn't know that they were poor, miserable, etc...