Monday, October 1, 2007

How Foolish

Everyone is familiar with National Atheist Day, right? The first of April?

Well, I was preparing for Home Bible Study on Friday night, and we were learning about 'salvation.' What better place to learn from than from Romans 3. I think vss. 9-28 may be one of the best passages to expository teach on the subject of salvation... I'm sure others could be mentioned.

I was reading in Romans 3, beginning in 10 where it says, "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one."

Recently, my daily Bible reading had me read through Psalm 53, so I recognized that Romans 3 was quoting that passage. Psalm 53:1 is the verse that says, "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God..." (Hence, April 1st, April Fools Day is National Atheist Day.) Anyway, Psalm 53:1 continues, "...Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good... Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; there is none that doeth good, no, not one."

I learned something... Psalm 53 talks about the fool. It is foolish to say there is no God, and it is foolish to become filthy, etc. But I think the two go together. I think that when a Christian sins, they are actually saying in their hearts... There is no God.

Now, I know that statement is not completely true. Paul always believed in God and struggled with the flesh. Regardless, to some degree, when we are faced with temptation and are given time to consider it, and we still sin - I think we are saying in our hearts... There is no God... and since there's no God, it's ok for me to do this.

Lord, increase our faith.

Just a thought...

5 comments:

Alex said...

Good post Andy. At a minimum when a Christian chooses to sin we are saying, "I don't care about what God said, I'm going to do it anyway."

Victoria said...

A little too much conviction for a Monday.:0) Seriously, good post and definitely something to meditate on!

Hindsey said...

I think you're right, Vicki, I'll try to keep the convicting thoughts particular to one day. Maybe Thursday or something?

:)

Yeah, Alex, that's tough. So, we're not just being foolish, we're also making ourselves gods in authority over the True God.

Aaron Putney said...

Oft times it is an imcomplete faith - when we lack the true grasp of Who God is in all His holiness and justice and fear Him accordingly then we think that the mercy of God and His available forgiveness will be there for us after the sin - that is not a wise assessment and strategy.
Job said - I have heard of thee with hearing of mine ears but now mine eye seeth thee, wherefore I abhor myself and repent in dust and ashes (I'm sure I am misquoting somewhat). May we see through the eyes of faith with understanding of the Word to know Whose we are and Whom we serve - and not be so foolish. Thanks for the post

David S Baker said...

2nd peter one talks about the things a Christian needs to keep deligent in to keep from sin, (my post of the day by the way) it goes on to talk about those who do not these things and i quote

"But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins".

ah so not just a fool, a blind forgetful fool at that... just a thought...