Friday, January 25, 2008

I Get It - Not First!

A while back I posted a thought from something I heard from Paul Washer. The basic premise of the thought was this: God is not supposed to be First, as if something else could compete for Him at that position but fall into second.

Well, I heard someone say recently, as I have heard said many times, that God is to be first, then usually the family follows second, then ministry, then maybe your profession, etc. I now get what I, and Paul Washer, were saying. God is not supposed to be first, followed by my wife and children second. God is not supposed to be first, and my ministry next.

God is supposed to be my first and last. I never am to leave off of God to then care to my family. I am never to leave off of God to take care of my ministry or my secular profession. My soul is to follow hard after God.

Objection: So then you should neglect your family, ministry and profession and sit around all day thinking on God.

Of course that is silly. I do not neglect my family, because God says, Love your wife. He says to bring up my children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. As I am following hard after God, I find that I MUST care for my family. God says to show compassion on people, to take care of the household of faith, to work diligently on whatsoever my hand finds to do. As I have Him as my first and last, I will do those things for Him.

We are supposed to do all of these things for His name's sake - even bringing a cup of cold water to a child in the name of Jesus, for the glory of God.

I'm starting to get it!

Just a thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to this one to Hindsey!

Anonymous said...

Amen is right,God needs to be in all of what we do.
God is not the author of confusion,we are human still and we can get off track with captivity of activity,and forget our families,and say I am doing God's work, have seen christian leaders lose their families over captivity of activity all in the name of Christ.That is why we need to prioritize.