Monday, January 21, 2008

Sound Doctrine

Oops! I took the day off from work today, being a holiday and all, and now, at 2:00pm, I remembered that I have this blog thing... Anyway, for my post today, I will answer a comment that someone posted on my blog yesterday - though, it didn't seem to have anything to do with yesterday's post :) Anyway, the comment was:
"If one believes something to be true and they teach other people that this
something is true BUT this something is indeed not true. Is that sin?"

Another way to word the question: Is it sin to teach something that is wrong - in ignorance?

My short answer: Yes, if it is presented as truth, and not as possibility.

My longer answer and explanation:
To say things that are not true would be bearing false witness. So, to teach falsehoods goes against God, and is sin. Thou shalt not bear false witness.

To break God's commandments ignorantly, is still sin, however it does not have the same punishment, therefore it is not considered to be as severe. Leviticus 4:2-3 teaches that breaking God's commandments, although ignorantly, still requires a sacrifice for sin. However, as with the case of ignorant homicide, the punishment is not death but rather confinement to a city of refuge.

I imagine that none of us have every single point of doctrine right. So, how can anyone teach anything at all if it would be sin to teach something that is wrong?

Well, first, I would suggest you start with teaching that which you are sure is right! I really think that much of the church today does not have a good handle on the principles of the doctrine of Christ, yet they are looking for the more ear-tickling things. This motivates the teacher to find more things that are not so plain in the Scripture, and present them as fact...

Second, things that are not so plainly taught, I would recommend you present them as truthfully as you can. This means you should present the 'strong-points' of credible opposition to your beliefs. It is good to explain why you believe those things are wrong, and in what area, but to misrepresent them is not good.

Third, don't present yourself as being a 'master.' James 3:1 says that those that teach others will receive the greater condemnation (defintion of master is teacher). And if there is something that you feel obligated to share with others, then I would recommend putting a caveat on it that is something along the lines of: "This is the way I see it" or, "It seems to be that..." or my favorite, "Just a thought..." This makes it a completely true statement that "I believe doctrine X to be true," without making the false statement of "X is true." (given that X is a false doctrine)

Now, that begs the question: Is it a sin to believe something that is not true?

Anyway, Just a thought...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
yeah i'd say it's important for us to make sure that we are calling light, light and dark dark...