Friday, January 18, 2008

Demonstration of a Soft Answer

I am subscribed to an email group of people in a particular area of my profession that spans all across the State of NY. This morning I received an invitation to a "Summit" that was going to be held in Skaneateles Falls (near Syracuse) some time in May.

Well, a funny thing happened. Another subscriber to the list who happens to live in New York City, meant to forward the summit invitation to a co-worker of hers. Instead of clicking Forward, however, she clicked Reply to All or something like that. The result was she wrote:
"Do you think this is worth the trek? Perhaps you and Doug could go. The big issue is the travel - it is up in the boonies."

I laughed... ha ha...

14 minutes later, received another email from same person, "Sorry all. That was meant for my staff not all of you. The travel upstate is difficult and time consuming for us City folk."

I chuckled again remembering the first email...

Then, 45 minutes later, another subscriber to the list (up in Niagara County) writes:
"Those 'boonies' are the most beautiful part of New York, it is called the Finger Lakes. Wake up Big 'rotten' Apple!
- Geography, you'd be lost without it!"

Now, I like the City, so I'm already 'against' this guy, but really... did he have to bother writing that. I mean, why not just accept the apology, and realize that City folks look at the rest of the state differently - just like this guy looks at the city differently!

Oh well, I don't know... funny enough, as I was typing this post, I got another email from teh same list with someone asking to be removed from the list! And it was a direct reply to the previous email! - now that's funny.

Just a thought...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If one believes something to be true and they teach other people that this something is true BUT this something is indeed not true. Is that sin?