Monday, January 14, 2008

Sola Gratia? Impossible

(I just like catching people with fun titles :)

Sola Gratia - Grace Alone. This is one of the five main sola's of the Reformation. Sola Scriptura, Soli Deo Gloria, Solo Christo, Sola Gratia, and Sola Fide. (Scripture Alone is the standard, For the glory of God alone, By Christ's work alone are we saved, Salvation by grace alone, Justification by faith alone)

Now, my title implies that Sola Gratia is impossible. Really, though, the purpose of my post is to comment on how we use a particular word: Grace. We often elevate the actual function of that word to the point where it loses its actual meaning. Grace means: "Favor; good will; kindness; disposition to oblige another..." (according to Webster's "1611" dictionary).

Here's my point. We often speak of "Grace" as being the actual action taken. The way I understand the word, grace is the 'disposition' to do some action. If I show grace to somebody, then I show them favor. If I show them favor, if I have grace, then I will proceed to perform some action, or respond in some particular way, etc.

When we say that we are saved by grace. Grace is not the effectual saving agent, but rather the causal saving agent (Whoa! Really loaded words!) That is, Grace is not what saves. Grace is what caused God to perform some action (sending His Son to appease God's wrath in our stead's) which saves.

"I am what I am by the grace of God." It is not grace alone, but rather grace caused God to move in certain ways in Paul's life to make him what he was. The cause was grace, but grace cannot be alone.

Am I babbling today? Do I make any sense? If I do make sense and you disagree with me, I'd love to hear from you. If I made no sense at all, and you'd like some further explanation, I'd also love to hear from you.

Just a thought...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

in other words grace is shown through an action. or is an adverb (verb descriptor if i remember high school english) for a verb or action to follow.
makes sense to me.

Hindsey said...

It made sense to everybody else too, until your comment.

Grace acts in real life like an adverb acts in a sentence. I think that's what you were trying to say. It's close to that, but in God's case, Grace is the motivating cause behind the action as opposed to simply a modifier of it.

jen said...

wow. theology and grammar all in one. I've been missing out over here!