Monday, February 25, 2008

Backup

Today's thought has little to do with spirituality. Maybe by the time I am done writing, I will think of something. Anyway...

BACKUP!!

Yup, I am a computer guy, and I recommend to everyone to backup all of your data regularly. You never know when a hard drive is going to stop working. I had a friend who had a Mac for only 6 days and its hard drive died. My PC, on the other hand, has gone for almost an entire year, but alas... grinding... click, click... Disk Read Error...

Now, I did not follow my own advice. I did not have most of the stuff, at least the recent stuff, backed up. Things like: 16 out of my 36 thesis topics... my Email... some recent pictures... not to mention a bunch of work related stuff that would bore you to talk about... Oh, and then there's the issue of the two missionaries' whose websites are done in Flash, that I cannot make changes to their Flash files because they were on there... (nobody tell them, ok!)

Alright, I hope that a Data Recovery Service will be able to help me out, but it will probably cost a bit. The moral of the story: A little extra time spent now, will probably save you more time (and money!) in the long run. I can't think of a verse with that principle, but I'm sure it would contain the word: FOOL, and I would fit the bill.

I am going to go back to the fetal position now and cry a little more...

Just a thought

9 comments:

Michael & Erika Barone said...

My mac is working just fine...so I am going to leave a comment.

So there were these people in the Bible that Jesus would just crush with scathing rebukes. You see...they would preach to others one thing but not do it themselves. Pharisees.

Anyway...on a completely different note...Wow...so you were preaching to others they need to backup, but you were not doing it yourself?

Mr. Young said...

I will take the high road as opposed to the one Mr. Barone is traveling : )

I'm sorry! I read 16 thesis topics and my heat sank. Ouch! I'll be praying they can recover this stuff. This semester has been rough enough without losing work.

Hindsey said...

You know, Shannon, I read this post once about weeping with those that do weep, and I figure Barone had some reason to rather heap coals of fire on my head. But, you know Michael...

Anyway... I am learning how much I rely on my computer. Maybe this will be a good time for me, although I really, really, really do hope it can be recovered!

Michael & Erika Barone said...

I am not sure what you are talking about Andy! I am weeping with you...I am just weeping as I use my computer, look at my completed NSBI thesis, and save things to my mac hard drive. Tears are running down my face as I do these things.

Hindsey said...

Oh, I am so sorry for the misunderstanding.

By the way, aren't you using GospelToItaly.com any more? I see that it no longer gets updated! It used to, but not anymore. Too bad, it was a nice site...

Unknown said...

Prov. 10:14 Wise men lay up knowledge (i.e. back up information): but the mouth of the foolish is near destruction (i.e. disk read error).
closest verse i could find for you andy;) sorry for your loss.

Hindsey said...

I knew I would be the fool in whatever verse was found! Thanks, Matt!

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Yeah...thanks Matt!!! : )

Aaron Putney said...

you have a good attitude about it but its really not funny - that is an incredible amount of hours and work - hope to hear that the info is recoverable - be careful for nothing but in everything by prayer...let your requests be made known unto God.