Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thank you, Noah

Genesis 8:20: And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.
Genesis 8:21: And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.
I had never put these two verses together before. And, maybe today I am connecting things that God did not intend for me to connect. But those verses above say that Noah offered, the LORD smelled a sweet savour, and then He said, I will not again curse the ground...

Was it Noah's sweet smelling sacrifice that moved God to establish the covenant to not destroy the earth again with a flood? Was it because of Noah?

If so, I wonder how many times the sacrifices that we offer to God (for example: "sacrifices of righteousness" [Ps. 3:5]) impact other people in a greater way. Noah only enjoyed some 300 years of that covenant with God. Whereas, the rest of us have enjoyed it for a total of 4,000 years or so. I personally haven't enjoyed it that long, but the rest of mankind has.

Anyway, just a thought

No comments: