Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Image of God

Genesis 1:27
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.


My thought today is an incomplete one. Perhaps, it is just a suggestion for us to think about a little more. We all know that God created man in His own image...

Wait a minute, I think we pass by that a bit too glibly. God created man in the image of Himself. Adam was created with the image of Almighty God! No, I don't really understand what that means. I do know that sin has so marred that image, that when Seth was born, Genesis 5:3 says that he was born in the image of Adam. But even with this image of Adam, James 3:9 says that men are "made after the similitude of God."

I guess I am not sure if I am looking for more than is there. Is it simply that "God" in whose image man was made has a head, 2 arms, 2 legs, etc.? Or is it more than that? Is it that God is a Triune being with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and man is Soul, Body, and Spirit? Or does His image given to Adam extend to the "image" of holiness and righteousness?

I don't know...

What I do know is that Christians are to be conformed to the image of Christ. In fact, it is predestined that we WILL be conformed to the image of Jesus - when He shall appear (Rom 8:29, 1 John 3:2).

Anyway, just some random thoughts...

3 comments:

Janice said...

you changed your sign off, and added "random". Be careful! Others may think the other one is up for grabs and try to steal it!

Hindsey said...

Yeah, actually, I think it extends to any sentence with the words "Just," "a," and "thought" in them. I'll have to look into that :)

Colette said...

Hey there Mr. Hinds, I have entered the blog world and enjoyed reading this post. I have been thinking about this same verse for the past year!! I understand the incomplete thought comment you made. I think it is much bigger than we can comprehend. Bigger than we can wrap our human minds around ( that seeing through a glass darkly thing :)!!) If it matters at all, this is what I think :)...God made man in his own image. A reflection of Himself. Man, unmarred by sin, reflected Him perfectly. Perfect love, perfect creativity, perfect unity with the God head, perfect unity in relationships,etc. Everything that Adam did reflected God himself. He glorified God (showed God!) And we are to do the same thing...but without the blood of Christ cleansing our sin we will be unable to reflect Him in this world. With out the Holy Spirit filling us we will be unable to reflect His glorious works. And, without reconciliation with God the Father...with out the God head and their work in us...it will be impossible to reflect the three in one (like Adam did at his creation). Man was made to reflect, image, glorify the God head!
Its nice to find someone, like myself, who asks questions such as this!! Thanks for posting! Say hello to your sweet wife for me....hope she is feeling better.