Wednesday, February 27, 2008

SET them there

Colossians 3:2
Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.


I was reading Piper's book on Jonathan Edwards (A God-Entranced Vision of All Things). There were a few things in there that really opened my eyes to some things that I probably will be sharing on this blog in the near future. One of them had to do with what Piper has called the Duty of Delight. That is, it is our duty not only to do those things which glorify God, but to do those things with delight.

Usually, my reponse to that is: Yeah, right! But for whatever reason last night, I think it finally started getting through. Then, while thinking on that a bit, Colossians 3:2 came to mind. It says: "Set your affections" on something. I always imagined that either I want to do something, or not want to do something - either I would have the desire, or not. This verse is saying that we are to actively set our affections on something. It is active, something we do, not passive, something that happens to us.

How do we set our affections on things above? Well, I think first we have to be looking at things above. We need to determine what things are of God, and what things are of the world. After we have determined what things glorify God, then it is time to set our affections on them. Second, I think we have to take a minute before we perform whatever 'duty' it is that we are going to, after having recognized that the purpose of doing the duty is to glorify, to please God, and purpose in our hearts to be glad that what we are doing does, in fact, bring pleasure to our God.

When I look at the task I am about to perform, and I know that the task is one that is going to bring pleasure to God, then I can do it with delight - even if that task is something that 'under the sun' is very difficult to do. I can type this blog every day with delight, if I belive that it brings pleasure to God. I can go to church even on days I don't want to, if I believe that by doing so it brings glory to God. I could happily fast, pray, give all that I have, study, minister, preach, teach, be hospitable, witness, sing, or whatsoever I do, as long as I am doing it with my affections set on doing it to please God.

When our focus is on God, we will never be disappointed. When our focus is on things or people around us, it is quite easy to be disappointed - they may let us down, He will not. The only thing that we need to fear is our own failure of setting our affections on God. It is when we fail to do that, that problems may come. SET your affection on things above.

Just a delightful thought...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I was getting it until you said "happily fast"...then something just short circut in my brain and I woke up a few minutes later with an empty Twinky wrapper in hand. Did you mean drive fast happily?

Anonymous said...

Hmm, Don't look to your left and don't look to your right, but up!!!

Colossians 3:2
Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

David S Baker said...

imagine seeing things the way God see's them. i bet the whole world would change before our very eyes.

Hindsey said...

You're absolutely right, Dave! What a thing that would be. I guess the more we are confirmed to the image of Christ, the more of His eyes we will be looking through.