Friday, February 1, 2008

Recondite, but not from its Exaltation


Let me begin with - I hate Pastor Curran's classes. He always assigns pointless work, and he gives us a ton of reading. It is horrible. I should spend my time doing better things.

So, last night, I was reading some of my Church History assignments, and I loved it! It was quite profitable for me to read parts of Martin Luther's Bondage of the Will. I probably would not have read that, but it was part of an assignment.

(Ok, now, before you go on, go back and read the first and second paragraphs and recognize that I was using sarcasm. Pastor Curran's classes are more "in-depth" than others, but I find them to be profitable because of it... Moving on.)

The thought for the day is contained in the section of Luther's work where he answers Erasmus charge that there are some things in Scripture that are just too exalted or majestic for the layman or other person to understand. He says that not everything can be grasped by the normal Chrisitan.

Luther's reponse is that while of course there are things of God that cannot be grasped, there are not things in Scripture that are too high or majestic to be grasped. There are difficult passages, that is, passages that are "Recondite" or "Abstruse" (both of which are new words for me!), but that is only due to our ignorance of grammar or understanding of the word, not because they are too high or too spiritual to be understood.

At the same time, Luther acknowledges that the spiritual things are incomprehensible without the Spirit. So, we are talking about Christian men.

My thought for the day: I am re-encouraged and thankful anew that we can ready our Bibles! We can open them up and with the help of a dictionary, be able to understand the plain meaning of all of them. There might be difficult passages here and there, but rest assured they are explained clearer elsewhere.

KJV Preface:
"But now what piety without truth? what truth (what saving truth) without the word of God? What word of God (whereof we may be sure) without the Scripture? The Scriptures we are commanded to search. John 5:39. Isa 8:20. They are commended that searched and studied them. Acts 8:28-29, 17:11. They are reproved that were unskilful in them, or slow to believe them. Matt 22:29. Luke 24:25. They can make us wise unto salvation. 2 Tim 3:15. If we be ignorant, they will instruct us; if out of the way, they will bring us home; if out of order, they will reform us; if in heaviness, comfort us; if dull, quicken us; if cold, inflame us. Tolle, lege; Tolle, lege, Take up and read, take up and read the Scriptures "

Just a thought...

18 comments:

Seth Koenig said...

Other than the fact that he wreaks of Augustinian dung, Luther is my sort of fellow!

Maybe I should nail 95 theses to the door of Joel Osteen's super mall...

Just a "pondering" :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm,thinking, "Holy Spirit" open our's eyes to understand His word..(Ephesians 1:18) The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
and your heart to receive the incorruptible Word.It really isn't all that complicated! When we have the Holy Spirit to quicken us!

Anonymous said...

Be careful there Seth,

John 1:24,Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Seth Koenig said...

I judge all according to the word and have read what Andy has read. Luther's arguments are dung. He backs up his thoughts with heathen poets and songwriters rather than Bible. I have judged according to God's word and have therefore judged righteous judgment. I do, however admire his zeal...and he would likely admire mine. Thanks for the brotherly chastisment my anonymous friend.

Hindsey said...

There are parts of Augistinian's teachings that are wrong - is it sin to teach things that are wrong? oh, wait, that's another post. Luther picked up some of Augustine's teachings that are wrong. I don't think anyone would claim that everything Augustine wrote was correct, and that some incorrectness transferred along.

Some of what Augustine wrote was good, some of what Luther got from him was good.

What Luther wrote here, is good - I believe. Like someone brought to attention, the Holy Spirit is Who is needed to enlighten us.

Hindsey said...

And, Seth, I appreciate your "pondering." Some anonymous characters here think they can use my trademark, Just a Thought...

The nerve of them!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm,thinking
Holy Spirit can enlighten men and women to write poems,all to being people to know and worship our Holy God!!

Poetry Place: O Fire of God, The Comforter
O Fire of God, The Comforter
by Hildegard (1098-1179)

O fire of God, the Comforter, O life of all that live,
Holy art thou to quicken us, and holy, strength to give:

To heal the broken-hearted ones, their sorest wounds to bind,
O Spirit of all holiness, O Lover of mankind!

O sweetest taste within the breast, O grace upon us poured,
That saintly hearts may give again their perfume to the Lord.

O purest fountain! we can see, clear mirrored in thy streams,
That God brings home the wanderers, that God the lost redeems.

O breastplate strong to guard our life, O bond of unity,
O dwelling-place of righteousness save all who trust in thee:

Defend those who in dungeon dark are prisoned by the foe,
And, for thy will is aye to save, let thou the captives go.

O surest way, that through the height and through the lowest deep
And through the earth dost pass, and all in firmest union keep;

From thee the clouds and ether move, from thee the moisture flows
From thee the waters draw their rills, and earth with verdure glows

And thou dost ever teach the wise, and freely on them pour
The inspiration of thy gifts, the gladness of thy lore

All praise to thee, O joy of life, O hope and strength, we raise,
Who givest us the prize of light, who art thyself all praise.

Remember God used a donkey too, maybe he has used Augustinian and Luther to have people think and aske questions about Him, seeking the truth. Just a thought?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm,Just a thought, your thoughts bring others to think thoughts, about our Lord! It is a good thing!:o)

Seth Koenig said...

God can use anyone he so chooses. But in context to what Andy and I read, Luther was not quoting godly poetry by Christian authors, but rather Virgil and others. Oh well, I'll not get all to agree with me. Sorry if my distaste for Augustine and his doctrine bothers some of you.

(Psa 119:128) Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.

But like I said, Luther and greatly appreciate. And I also happen to understand how his zeal got him into trouble...I know a little about that.

But I will always HATE the false way...and that is a Godly quality.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm,Godly quality :o)

John 13:34

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another

1 Peter 1:22
Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently

Hindsey said...

I'm actually close to stopping comments on this post - we're way off from anything near the topic of the post!

Godly quality:

John 14:15
(15) If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Romans 16:17
(17) Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

For us to disobey God and NOT call out false doctrine teachers, would be sinful. We love the brethren, but not to the point that we ignore error. Grace and Truth.

And why did you use an extra "m" in your Hmmm(m) this time? Strange...

Anonymous said...

Hmm,

Holy Spirit can enlighten..

12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee (like me)by:John Fischer

The Holy Spirit convicted our hearts.

Toma said...

I can't wait to read my extra readings. I'm so...excited. Thanks for the encouragement.

Seth Koenig said...

I must have stepped on someone's idol.

Anonymous said...

I LIKE Pastor Curran's classes. I always learn something :)

Anonymous said...

hmmm,
Idolatry, Anything we try to put in a place where God belongs is an idol.

No, you didn't step on my Idol.

Just like you,I worship the Lord Jesus Christ, and only Him. I love Him, no thing or anyone else could take His place,as I am sure the same for you my brother's in Christ.

Janice said...

SOmetimes I only read the comments when there are more than 5... I know there is banter and my debate-liking self is drawn to it...! I might actually ask Dan if I can read his assignments with him. Maybe!

By the way, where did you get those vocab words? We are running a little low!!!

Hindsey said...

Oh, you will find a tremendous wealth of vocab words in the optional readings. I had about 4 or 5 that I remember seeing... I probably should have looked them up, but... "Recondite" was from Luther's Bondage of the Will. Althought another translation of it used the word "Abstruse." As if that word makes the understanding any less recondite. :)