Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Homosexuality - part 1

Ok, I said a while back, after I had gone to evangelize at the Gay Pride Parade this year in Rochester, that I would be writing down some thoughts on that parade, and on the issue of homosexuality in general.

Well, yesterday, I got a Christian News brief in my email, and one of the articles was about a CCM musician that publicly announced that he's living a homosexual lifestyle. I knew I recognized the name of the artist, but I wasn't sure who it was. I looked up some of his songs and was surprised that they were some of the songs that I'm familiar with that have been sung many times in our church and the churches I've been around to. Anyway, that news article reminded me to get busy on writing my thoughts on the subject.

So, my first thought, will be based on that news article, and carry on from there. I hope you don't get too sick of the subject, and I will try to be original enough on the subject that you don't lose interest. Maybe even I'll throw in some stupid humor so you can at least laught at me in the process!

Anyway, my thought/question for the day is this: What do we do with the songs from this songwriter? I mean, someone comes out and says they're living in something that the Bible speaks negatively about (that will be tomorrow's post, I imagine), what do we do with the the music that they already created? The same could be asked about music that a musician brought about, what appears to be good, godly, Christian music, and then they go and leave their husband or wife? Do we throw out the music with the reputation that the artist has thrown away?

What do you think?

(Let's see how many readers I really have anymore!)

As always, anonymous comments are more than welcome.

7 comments:

Mr. Young said...

Forgive me if this is nieve. but I'd probably use the principle of 1 Corinthians 10:25-30. If I had Ray Boltz CD's in my house I'd throw them out. If I heard a song on the radio that glorified God, I'd sing along. If I found out that it was Ray Boltz, I'd turn the station. I didn't look up his songs on purpose, for conscience sake. Pray for him though and his family. He has given in to the spirit of the age, and is decieved.

He said - "This is what it really comes down to," he says. "If this is the way God made me, then this is the way I'm going to live. It's not like God made me this way and he'll send me to hell if I am who he created me to be … I really feel closer to God because I no longer hate myself."

O' the confussion! He needs to hear, that he has never been the way God created him to be, but has been tainted by Adam as we all have. I'm glad you are going to take some time to tackle this topic.

Hindsey said...

Hey, at least now I can claim that I wasn't the one who mentioned the guy's name...

Thanks, Shannon.

Shannon, like we've talked about before, I was born a fornicator. I was born a liar. How far will the argument get me: "it's not like God made me this way and he'll send me to hell if I am who he created me to be..." Good point on how that's not how He wants us to be, and the goal is to be like Jesus, not to be like Andy!

Victoria said...

Oh man! He wrote a couple of my favorite songs. Now that I know that, it almost makes my "pat" answer harder to swallow. But, I'm with Shannon on this one. Trust me, it's going to hurt, but I won't be able to listen to his music with a good conscience. He has tainted the name of Christ and of Christianity. We all know that God says homosexuality is an abomination and to say otherwise (ie - this brings him closer to God) goes directly against Scripture and puts a big "splotch" on his music. Do his songs still speak truth and encourage? Yes. But, what if a pastor was committing adultery? Do we still keep him as church leader just because he preaches good sermons full of biblical truth?

Hindsey said...

I think I'm leaning towards taking a walk the fence answer here -- and I know what can help when you're walking the fence if you slip --

If I had a Ray Boltz CD, I'd chuck it too. I'll be honest. There is too much hurt that could be caused to Christ's good reputation if I keep the CDs around. However... the music that was already made... that might be a different story.

First of all, even Mr. Young doesn't know which are his songs. Are not the lyrics just as good? Can he not still edify the believers and praise God with them? Should I yell at him whenver I hear him sing one of them? (That's a bad example, because every time I hear Shannon sing, I yell at him, but that's a different story.)

Maybe I should... I'm not sure...

Let's go this way, is it ok to use the "spiritual material" that was created by a person who is no longer following God? What if someone lived for God, wrote many books and made music for God's sake. Then, later in life they followed after their own lusts. They stopped following God and began to follow other 'gods'? Should we still read the things they wrote? Should we still sing the songs they penned?

For the record, I just presented to you Solomon.

Now, we've got the whole inspiration thing to deal with in that case, I understand, but Solomon's life did not end well. There is no evidence of repentance before he died, and in the report card of the kings, Solomon's was, "And Solomon did evil in the sight of the Lord" (1 Kings 11:6).

So... I guess I'm going to avoid his music, not have my wife sing it and such, but at the same time, if someone else does... that, I do not believe, is my problem.

I love writing - you really have to think things through and put your neck out on the line! Don't chop it off, anyone!

More thoughts?

Anonymous said...

I love this. I am the one who gets ranked on for listeneing to CCM, and I am the only one who doesn't recognize the name...

Ohhhhh the irony......

Victoria said...

Absolutely - there's no way I would judge someone else for their decision in this. It's too vague a situation (for me, at least).

Hindsey said...

Dan, he was too conservative for you... actually, he's an old-timer. First big hit is like 20 years old or so.