Monday, September 22, 2008

More Marchers - Homosexuality part 5

Well, carrying on the theme from last week, on the topic of the Gay Pride Parade, I wanted to mention one more group of marchers in the parade. This group showed up, I believe, 3 years ago or so. I could be wrong, but that's my recollection. This group of marchers in the parade are the so-called Christian churches. The ones that I noticed were:
Lake Avenue Baptist Church
Community Christian Church in Chili
First Universalist Church of Rochester
Unitarian Universalist Church of Canandaigua
Open Arms Metropolitan Community Church
Third Presbyterian Church
Downtown United Presbyterian Church
St. Luke & St. Simon Cyrene Episcopal Church

Now, I'd like to start this post by suggesting you read last Wednesday's comments. You can read the post too, if you haven't, but I had an anonymous commenter that went back and forth with me about being hard on the homosexuals and showing no grace. We discussed a little, and I want to clarify (as can be read in the comments too) that when the world participates in homosexuality, they are doing what the world is expected to do. However, when someone takes the name of Christ and insinuates that He is just as happy with somebody living in sin, which homosexuality is, as He is with someone trying to avoid sin, then I have a big problem with it.

You are HYPOCRITES which do such things. You say that God loves them, but fail to teach that God loves them through the Cross. The love of God was manifested by the Cross. The Cross is the punishment for our sin, which Jesus took in my place! You hypocrites go out and say, "God loves you. Your sin does not matter to Him. Jesus really died so that you can go ahead and live however you want, spit in His face, and just continue on in sin." Hypocrites! You teach people that they can live in sin, have no repentance towards it, and that God will take them to Heaven when they die. You are leading people straight to Hell when you teach that they can continue to disobey God and He is ok with it. You are making them twice as much the children of Hell as you are!

You look beautiful on the outside, claiming that God's love will triumph in the end, and you ignore the judgment and holiness of God. You teach people to say that they love God, but when God says, "If you love me, keep my commandments," you ignore it. Or, you teach man's commandments, and present them as being God's. You make God's holy word worthless!

You snakes! You children of the devil! You deceivers! You enemies of righteousness! Stop perverting the right ways of the Lord!

Philippians 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. 18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: 19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)

Let me say one more time. When the lost world does its sin, that is what I expect them to do. They don't have the Holy Spirit to guide them. They are limited to their own selves to try to run their lives. Their flesh, like mine, is far too weak to do what is good. But when a pastor of a congregation of people, a congregation that calls itself a Chrisitan church, says that homosexuality is not a sin. When he or she says that God's word does not mean what it says (abomination, unnatural, error, vile), then he or she is the enemy of the cross of Christ. I will not stand with that person. I will not welcome them to teach or preach wherever I am.

Additional reading for this post: Matthew 23, Acts 13:10, Mark 7:13

Just a Thought...

7 comments:

Alex said...

Amen, Amen, Amen!

Anonymous said...

You now have written on homosexuality (by label) more than God’s presence, the Holy Spirit, Sanctification, Revival, and Charity.

Priorities my friend.

Hindsey said...

I suppose that's because people don't argue those issues, whereas homosexuality is a much debated topic in society. If Christians are to be quiet on this issue, then it will be supposed that they don't care.

And (willing to justify myself) my labeling system probably isn't the best. I should have organized them better at the beginning, but I was new. The Holy Spirit, for example, is written about in many of my posts as I am often commenting on the battle between flesh and spirit...

You make a valid point though - thanks.

Mr. Young said...

You’re much more graceful than I am Andy. I think that anonymous' comment is a cheap shot! I think this is an issue facing the church today that needs to be addressed intelligently. To suggest that your priorities are messed up because you took the time to open a dialogue that most people try to pretend is not an issue seems ignorant to me.

Perhaps it’s just been a long day and I’m cranky.

Aaron Putney said...

havent visited in a while, a lot to catch up on, Glad you are back at it andy - well written. Those who have read your posts over time know that you do not take any topic lightly and to be as forthright as you have only shows the confidence you have in God's stand on this issue. The sobriety and clarity that God places on this sin and His feelings regarding His precious name and reputation are without doubt, a church has no business calling itself Christian that will advocate what God clearly calls abominable.

Alex said...

Anonymous - here's why it's such a huge issue. I agree that sin is sin in God's eyes. Lying will separate me from God the same way that homosexuality will. Here's the big difference - Homosexuality isn't necessarily a worse sin, but in our society churches are joining in and not calling it sin at all. Recognizing sin and struggling with it is one thing, but taking something that the Bible clearly delineates as sin, and calling it good is trying to usurp God's authority and this issue will destroy our society. Take a close look at history. There were several socities that crumbled and among the reasons are the acceptance of homosexuality. One example is the Roman Empire.

Anonymous said...

You are right, your labeling has not been the best. For instance Part IV of this issue was never labeled "Homosexuality" or it would have had another one.